Getting Boat on Trailer - Boat Loading Tips

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fat_fish55, Jan 28, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey wondering if anybody has any tips for getting your boat back on a trailer without a dock or anything.
    i was out below lock and damn 21 and tried getting my boat back on the parked trailer.
    i couldnt get out in front of it and come stait on without drifting too much.
    i got on it crooked and had to have a friend pull the front end over with a rope

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    KC, if I am loading my boat in heavy current or a strong cross wind, I've found that it helps not to get the trailer too deep in the water. As a matter of fact I always leave the front tip of my bunkers just at the surface and drive it on with the motor. If I still like a little bit I use the winch. Vern

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    A good set of guide ons will help you when loading . I also don't put the trailer deep in the water. I have just the rear ends of the bunks under and drive the boat on.If you have a smaller motor you may need to be in deeper. Too deep and the boat wants to go off the side

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    KC, you can get a set of post guide-ons for $70 from Cabelas. They really help a bunch, and make trailering your boat a piece of cake even in the wind!

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i too had problems with getting it on cockeyed in a very windy condition
    and i found it helps me if i or buddy backs the trailer in farenough to wet the runners completly then pull out enough to just have the runners about half way exposed then use motor to goose it up on there.
    and those side board guides are what i will be getting this summer
    it should help keep it from getting so crooked .
    patience and repetition and you'll get it down .
    i scratched the side of my boats grumann stickers on side posts by haveing too much trailer in the lake in that windy condition.
    as long as you got about half your runners in a jon boat should go up without too much effort on wet carpet

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Me too
    I dont put my trailer in water till boat floats. I use motor to unload and load . Just have to climb in and out to park truck but its much safer and easier for me than fighting wind and taking a chance on truck sliding into lake.

7. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Some state parks / ramps it is illegal to drive the boat on or off the trailer. I causes a washout if the ramp doesn't go far enough out in the lake.

craigr

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you guys want to make those bunks a little slicker here is a way to do it.

Get you a quart of acetone and a big short fat candle (color doesn't mater):) Cut that candle up and put in a sealed container. Thats a half gal jug to you city folk) :) then let it melt real good and the next time you unload take you an old paint brush and brush that concoction onto the bunk on top of the carpet. When you return it will be ready to use.

This method will last about 3 years. Oh BTW when you are unloading after that don't unhook until you are ready to go in the water because it will slick those bunks up.

About powering the boat on I always do that but I have had a good royal a------- chewing from park rangers for that to.:)

9. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I agree with the other's I like to leave my trailer out of the water , If I got somebody backing the trailer I get the boat lined up and have them back up as I apply alittle gas and it goes right on,
    I will leave the rails of the trailer just under water and when the boat hits the trailer I will turn the wheel till I feel the boat drop onto the rails then ease up, I have noticed some people will try and hit the trailer hard and mash the gas then when they get there boat off the ramp they have to move the boat, I guess the main thing is to take your time and when everything looks good then pull the boat out of the water..

**GOOD SUBJECT**

10. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Sum great advbice aready given.
    I like to leave both bunkers clear out of the water on windy days,or heavy current.Ride the boat past the trailer and use the wind/current to help guide ya on.Driving the boat on would be the best and easiest way to get it on the trailer,especially in those conditions.

If thats not possible due to the laws in the water yer fishing,hopefully ya have a trollin motor and you can use that,would be much harder but can still manage.Ya would rely more on the wind/current to guide yer direction and get ready to lift the motor just before ya hit the trailer.

Other than that get a good set of hip waders!

70 bux fer guide ons???????

2 plastic electrical conduits-----maybe 7 bux

2 clamps with nuts and bolts----maybe 5 bux

1 can spray paint (color optional)----maybe 2 bux

now ya set up with guide posts fer under 15 bux!

cut the conduits to desired length,paint with desired color,and clamp em to the trailer.

I added tape to mine at the top and midway down that glows in the dark.Makes it a bit easier loading at night.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I load mine in swift current most of the time. I line up around 2ft above the trailer center and with the current and motor hit the trailer slow. Let the trailer do the job its built for. And it will guide the boat on. That is unless the trailer only has bunks and not side guides. And if thats the case bet to get some side guides on it.
    PEte

12. MTBuckeye

MTBuckeye New Member

State:
    Montana
    Great advice in all of the above posts. One thing I do when loading my boat on a river where there is a good current going is to back down the ramp and at the last moment, cock the trailer downstream a little. That way you can go downstream a little and then come back up with the bow into the current and onto the trailer. The current is not hitting the boat dead on sideways so you have much better control.
    Hope this makes sense.

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey thanks for the tips guys
    im new to boating and am still getting used to everything

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    craigr,
    I never thought about a wash out from using motor at ramp. Guess that could happen. I've unloaded that way with park rangers, Game Wardens there and no one said anything about it to me. Just about everybody I see does it the way I do. I've used the same 2 ramps for 20 years and never seen a wash out from it. I got elec. trim and I dont lower motor all the way down to dirt.
    Just enough to get a bite in water for getting on and off trailer and I dont nail it full throttle when doing it. I also use hand crank to finish the job when loading. It doesn't take much power to load even in wind. More driving skills than anything. Other ramps I have seen washed out some. They might have a drop off that can be hard on a trailer if not careful. I have drop my trailer off an edge. Talk about hard trying to pull back up ramp. Its like being chained to a tree or something. I think it was a poorly built ramp that cause the drops off cause most of them have been that way for years. That is
    why with our lake at its lowest in history this year, we cant use most boat ramps. They are high and dry. Yesterday I notice that lake maintenance is going around an beefing up some of the older poorer shape ramps on lake. Adding a gravel foundation and I'm thinking they will add more length with concert on the high and dry ramps. I'm going that way today and I will stop in lake office an ask em.

The 2, I mainly use has always been in good shape.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Fatfish, it may not sound like much, but you (anyone) can learn a lot just by observing others doing the same thing. Even though I've been boating most of my life, I may still see someone do something that can help me. Just take a little time now and then to watch what other boaters do (right or wrong), especially if they have a similar rig as you. It could pay off, at worst you'll only waste a few minutes.

16. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    If ya drive the boat on the traqiler the best way,is to have the side guides completely out of the water and the bottom guides halfway out of the water.Those side guides aren't much help for windy or fast current conditions.At least i had my share of problems with the side guides....LOL

When its really bad I still sometimes get on crooked,but i lerned to catch it in time and back'er out and try it again.Usually will nail it on the second try,if not the 1st.

Gotta agree with Blackwater,ya can learn alot by watching.I watch how other guys fish,what they use how they use it,what they catchin.Sometimes,especially in the summer when its pretty crowwded on the water,I'll go sit at the boat ramp and watcjh some of these clowns....LOL

Its amazing what some people do,or i should say DON"T do,putting a boat in or out of the water.You wanna could laugh and possibly learn sumthin,go sit at a boat ramp on a busy summer weekend.I seen 3 boats come off the trailer and land plum in the middle of the ramp just this past summer.Seen maybe 1/2 dozen boats nail the cewment barrier the dock is attached too,and a couple of them were pretty nice lookin boats too....lmao

What i like to do is simply,
    Pull into parking lot and park or if there is a line get in it.unhook all my straps and what needs to be done to launch the boat,that includes putting the drain plug in-hehehe,load the boat with what i9 intend to bring,check that the battery is charged,go around and check everything again,cause i'm always forghettin somethin and usually by now the line has moved a bit or i'm rewady to trailer up to the ramp and launch the boat.

Basically,the rule of thumb at a boat ramp(especially a busy one) is make sure your damn boat is ready to launch), and will actually start when ya get to the ramp.Seen many fights break out while guys fiddle with things in the middle of the ramp while theres a line 20 trailers deep.Or quite a few who actually launch the boat with no problems and can't get the motor fired and end up blocking the ramp for an hour or so.

Another good rule of thumb,practice makes perfect,get out and fish,the more ya put the bpoat on an off the trailer the better ya get at it.

17. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    start upcurrent or upwind. Next overshoot your benchmark away from shore and just before reaching the trailer you should be lined up and be quick to get your nose in and the tralier guides will take care of the rest.

18. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    One thing I did last year was use small hand held radios (like the Motorola Talkabout). One in the truck and I have the other one in the boat. Works great if you need them to back up a little more and to tell them when you are ready to pull out. Saves a lot of yelling and waving.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I used to have problems launching my boat and winching the rascal back onto the trailer. I solved the problem by taking the rollers off the trailer, drilled a 1/8" to 3/16" hole lenghtwise into the 5/8" diameter roller pin. Then I drilled another hole from the top of the roller pin into the hole drilled the length of the pin. Enlargened the hole drilled lenghtwise in the pin, used a tap and threaded the hole for grease zerks. Reassembled and installed the rollers, packed with grease and then with one hand I could push the boat (19 footer I used in the Cheasapeke) off the trailer. You had to have a bow line tied to the trailer or you could loose the boat. Come time to load the boat, those greased rollers made it extremely easy. One of the best ideas I ever had.

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I've always backed the trailer down just enough to get the boat to slide up on the runners. If there is heavy current at the ramp i back it in with the tail of the trailer backed in sideways along with the current just enough to get the boat on it. Then i'll drift the boat down past the ramp and motor right up to the trailer and ride it right on. The winch will do the rest.;)