Getting bait at Blue plains

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by photocat, Feb 20, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I keep hearing that the bait at Blue plains is extremely abundent. How are you guys getting bait there if its illegal to cast net because its in DC waters which doesn't allow the use of a cast net. Are there other baitfish present that hit lures such as sabiki rigs or small crappie jigs? are you snagging or using an umbrella net? are you getting bait other places where castnetting is legal and bringing it up there to fish? (if thats a yes i don't need specifics, cause i don't want you to lose your secret bait holes). Im just a bit curious

2. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    We snag about 4 shad for each trip...that'll last most of the day since those fish are pretty tough. We even used chunks of shad backbone last Saturday and still caught cats....never saw that before. There is so many shad there it'll take only a few minutes to get what you need for the whole day.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    hey Marty did you happen to see the water temp when it hits around 50 you will see the herring in the river. That why i get them around blue plains first

4. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    The temp in the main river has been steady at 40 degrees for several weeks, except during a rain then the temp went to 42. The temp at the discharge was about 54. I'm going out Friday morning out of Bolling Marina for one last practice session before the big show. See ya at the ramp on Saturday...we'll be there about 6.