getting annoy'd

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rjmorris, Mar 17, 2009.

1. rjmorris

rjmorris New Member

State:
    south carolina
    the fish just stopped bitting for some reason, i normally fish the saulda in piedmont, and normally get at least 2 when i go out. but for the last couple of weeks i havent even had a decent hit. anyhoo here is my question. normally i use chicken livers, i have heard alot of people telling me to use mullet. my question is when using cut bait, how big should it be, what's the best way to hook the cut bait, so on and soforth, and is mullet a good bait for catfish?

thanks in advance for everyones help.

2. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Rich, if you want to meet up and go fishing one day, I can show you how to catch the cats in that part of the river, because I fish there alot. If you would like to go sometime and learn a few new tricks, just let me know, I would be glad to help.

3. rjmorris

rjmorris New Member

State:
    south carolina
    actually that sounds great, i have said before in post's im not new to fishing just new to catfishing. its a slower fishing but im luving it. and i can always use any help i can get.

4. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Just let me know when you want to go.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    For me size of bait is dictated by the type/size of fish that is available. Bigger baits will mean less fish in the boat, but you will not have to deal with those annoying "small" fish. If I am trying to catch eating fish, then my bait is no bigger than a quarter

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mullet makes pretty good cut bait, but where are you going to get some up there?

When I lived in Columbia, I used to use a cast net to collect bait - either little minnows in the rocky pools in the Broad, Congaree and Saluda river, or smallish gizzard and threadfin shad. My very favorite bait for the channels and small blues we used to catch in the upper Congaree (right at Gervais st) and the Saluda was the middle section of a shad (take about a 3 inch shad and cut off the head and the tail) hooked on about a size 2 or 4 hook rigged like a Carolina rig with a small (often just 1/4 oz) egg sinker. Somedays the heads were good, too, but that "gut section" was like the fillet mignon of shad. Got a lot of 1/2 to about 5 pound cats on those.

7. rjmorris

rjmorris New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the tip ill try that. i kept hearing about mullet and i finally found some at a small store in ware shoals, so i tried it and so far not a bite. then again im not getting much off of the chicken livers either right now. that's what's annoying. normally something always hits a liver. lol.

8. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm not having much of a bite either, and I fish the Saluda around Ware Shoals exclusively.
    It's been muddy and too fast and cold is my excuse.
    Where did you find the mullet here, by the way?

9. rjmorris

rjmorris New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i found it at cockers store, looks like its been there forever. in the back of the store they have a small deli and assorted fish. that's where i found it. i believe it was like 1.99 pound.

10. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Let me know next time you need some mullet, I can get it for free.

11. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina

12. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina

13. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Maybe you need to try some sruimp, or some cut ell if you can find any.:wink::roll_eyes::smile2:

14. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sorry, dont know why that posted three times. My computer aint acting right.

15. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    my favorite bait is eel whole or cut bream cut or whole the flatheads like bream heads thats all i fish with

16. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    It might be all the rain that we got over the weekend:roll_eyes: all that fresh water could have something to do with it.:cool2::wink: