getting about that time

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by warcraft1975, Aug 6, 2008.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

getting about that time to make sure traps work like they should,and get the permissions to the places you really wanna trap,anyone else getting ready?

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm ready. this year dont look like I have to go far I have red fox all around my house this year. the farmer next door wants me to set some now for him. hes worried about the fox getting at his baby goats. and one little fox ended up as road kill last night I look at picking it up but it was to far gone so I just moved it to the side of the road.( I didnt hit it) but It couldnt have been dead for more than 30 mins or so witch I would have just put it straight in the freezer till cooler weather to work with.
    any who I'm READY!!!! for trappin, deer and turkey hunting, and big cats man I seem to stay full from fall to spring gettin pulled all kinds of different ways lol WHATS A MAN TO DO:tounge_out:

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    NTA convention is this weekend at Mason City Iowa.
    Wish I could justify going. Been there before. Lots of stuff for sale. Lots of good ideas and new products.But most of all lots of good people.
    The best to ya
    just

PS
    cats4uand me
    Did you notice how your comment was ignored?

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Got a bunch of stuff to do;
    New chains( I prefer to use heavier chain than what is supplied. Tires/drowns the animal easier).
    New trap tags(can't find the old ones).
    Stakes.
    4" PVC pipe.
    And need to work on some bobcat cubbies.

Got about 15 #1½LS, pair of # 4 jumps and a pair of cage traps to do this year.

:004:

5. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    So how do you use the tires?
    And whats the 4" pvc for?
    have a good one
    just

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have so much to do still its unreal, i have a mountain of traps to finish and tune,bait to get gathered, fav lure to order and so on i swear it never really ends but its all worth it come season like wandering out in the cold woods even more than fishing sometimes

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i think he means tires like gets tired of dragging the trap.lol the pvc hhmmm, coon pvc sets maybe? sounds good anyhows

8. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Tires as in tired duh lol

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Yeah, tires as in worn out.
    4-5lbs of logging chain calms down the animals fairly fast and they don't fight like they do with the lightweight chains.(Gotta thank Paul Dobbins for this tidbit)

The pipe set is a shallow water set for coons.
    The pipe is set into the bank so the coon will only be able to reach into it from the water, where the trap is set.(FFG about 8-10 years ago)

:004:

Attached Files:

10. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i started gettin the fever last deer season when i saw so many coons from my deer stand then i got even more pumped when i saw beaver sign EVERYWHERE this year when fishin for flattys!!!!!! Good luck guys, happy trappin'!

11. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    The pipe set is a shallow water set for coons.
    The pipe is set into the bank so the coon will only be able to reach into it from the water, where the trap is set.(FFG about 8-10 years ago)

By golly I think I saw that one.
    Then I thought if I leave it long and stake it solid I can set 2 traps. One at each end.
    have a good one
    just

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I'm in Mexico working right now, so all I can do is get mentally prepared!:roll_eyes: Got a long list made up for when i go home.

I'm going to only be targeting coons and cats early in the season, so not much to do in the way of working on traps. They are packed and ready to roll.

Still got about 75 more drowner cables to make. Going to a different system this year to help speed up.

Gona spend several days scouting some new river sections. Been putting together some aerial photos to help with that.

I'll be home for the first 7 days of the season this year. Gona run about 30 miles of river. Gona do it in two sections. Bottom 10 miles the first 3 days or 4 days, then roll over to the top 20 for the remander of the week. Reason being, the lower 10 is a lot wider with much more backwater. A lot more area to cover.

Can't wait! Just hope my body can take the BIG CATCHES!!!!:cool2:

13. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I just got one heck of a deal on 17 #1 1/2" 2 #2" and 1 #3" coilsprings.
    The #3 is 4-coiled for yote's. I got them all for a ribeye dinner with all the trimmings. Just have to offset a few,dye,& wax em and they are ready to go.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

just got done fine tuneing the first 100 footholds i will be glad to get them done still another 100 misc traps that need gone through but i am getting closer.still gotta clean up the fur shed and get it in order its all kinds of messy

15. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's hard to believe it's almost that time of year. Hopefully we won't have as much moisture this year. I haven't even started the prep on my traps. And don't get me started on the fur shed.:crazy: One good thing is I just bought a 4 wheeler so it should make things a little easier this year. I am looking forward to calling in some coons in the day time any one else ever try this?

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i am betting it will be a very snowy winter i hope not but i think it will be

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    oh ive been ready lol. cant wait

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have a feeling it will another last min. year for me.lol still got tons to do but working on it alittle every day

19. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    just got my traps derusted and are hanging now to dry and get just a little rust to return to help with the dyeing. still have a few to tune up.