Getting a surf fishing combo ready

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by catfishing is fun, Jul 12, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I just want a combo that I will be able to surf fish with should the need arise, but that i can still use for cats...

Here is what I have right now, or am buying

Penn Master 6000 12ft surf rod
    Shakesphere Alpha bigwater reel.

now my question, for surf fishing would you use 20lb mono (brand?), or some 40-50 lb braid?

Thanks for the help

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I got a 12" ocean master rod with a opus 6000 spooled with around 300 yards of 80# power pro braid. Its far more than I would ever need weight wise but the braided line is more abbrasion resistant than mono. You'll need a good stout line to be able to withstand the line rubbing the sand bars. I normally spool up 30# berkley big game otherwise. Its a lot cheaper than the braid. But the 80# power pro is the same size as 18# mono. So you can get alot more on the reel than you could with mono. Then again its all in what your fishing for. Theres not much in the surf that can break 30# mono, except for the occasional shark and skates. I use mine catfishing often when I want to be able to launch bait halfway across the lake. Good luck.

3. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Is this a new kind of power pro your useing thats more abbrasion resesistant then mono? All the braided lines i have used where no very abbrasion resesistant.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I can't cut it with a pair of scissors. Have to chew through it or use a sharp knife.

5. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ande premium holds up well for surf fishing,have been using it for over 20 years.
    Jake

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    In the surf i use 20lb mono, nothing bigger. But in order to cast a heavier sinker, you will need a shock leader. For this i use 40-60lb monode pending on the tergeted species. If you want saltwater panfish like spot and croaker, i would go with a bass outfit. its more fun because on than huge rod you dont feel them pull.

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Have you ever hooked up with a big 30+lb red drum? they will give your 30lb mono a run for its money. and they can be caught right in the waves, near sloughs.