Getting a Pontoon Boat!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 13, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    After a long time of dreaming of a Pontoon Boat, we are finally getting one! We went to Bass pro shop last night and made the downpayment! It's a 20ft Tracker, with a 50hp 4 Stroke Mercury motor. And for you Football fans, while we were in there we ran into Michael Vick, the QB for the Atlanta Falcons, I don't care much about Football, but thought it was pretty neat anyway. I didn't recognize him, I was standing right beside him looking at the boats and he was looking at the same boat I was at one point, and then I just looked at him and he looked at me and walked away, and then the salesman there told me who he was.

Anyway, I can't wait for it to be delivered! I hope to take a few people I promised fishing trips here on the site fishing when I get it.

Zakk:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Congratulations on the new toon Buddy!!! Wish I could get me one of those!!!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you JW, we will probably lose everything we have to get it, but it will be worth it anyway. LMAO.:tounge_out:

4. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    My wife said the only way I was getting a new boat was to get a better job. Believe me I am trying. Congrats on the new pontoon.

5. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
  6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congratz on the new boat did u get the bass buggy 20. I was looking at the 18 but im gonna wait for the boat shown in a few weeks mabe I can talk the wife into a new boat.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Zakk, you all will love the toon. It can be a little aggevrating to get on the trailer sometimes but its rewards are well worth it. I have a 24 footer party barge and I thourghly love useing it.

8. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    i have a 24 fishing barge tracker pontoon with the 90 hp 4 stroke. we love it. tracker is a well built boat, and there warranty is great. the merc 4 stroke is one of the quitest engines around, and mercury will give you excellent support if you request it on line. problems ive had
    1- pontoon with water in it. dealer fixed it, they are warranted for 5 years.
    2-if you have power tilt/trim make sure your motor does not rub the lift cyl while in the down position. mine did and rubbed a hole in it. found a new one on ebay and replaced it. will instal a stop bolt for the engine in the down position this time.

we ripped a hole in one of our pontoons once on lake mohave in nevada. didn't even know it till we took the boat out of the water. wife got out and asked what is that. had a 3/4 stream of water draining out of the pontoon.
    ours being a 24' it was a pain to load on the trailer. they catch wind like a sail. i went to the inside of the trailer and welded in some guide boards, now no matter what angle your at it goes right on. if you want pictures let me know. if you have the rollers inside they will hang the pontoon sometimes if you are not on straight.

being a newer motor i'm sure yours is fuel injected. ours was carbed, and it took me a while to learn that when i prime it with the fuel bulb to make sure the engine is not at a tilt. would flood it everytime.

manuvering in a no wake area when it is windy takes some practice. like i said wind is your worst problem.

be carefull of white caps, if you hit one very tall it will make a submarine out of your boat. it won't sink it, but when it comes back up out of the water, it will send everthing overboard. even passengers.

other than these few probs we wouldn't have any thing else. pm me if you have other questions. troy&bj

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congratulations on the new toon.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Welcome aboard Troy and thanks for any heads up we can use to load those big ole floating platforms. I have to learn every thing I can about a toon cause you see it keeps the wife happy. And as you know when mommy is happy everybody is happy.:big_smile: :big_smile:

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Zakk, Congrats on your new toon. I don't own one but my buddy has a boat rental buisness & let's me use'm when I want too.

Just as Bubba said, in the wind they can be a P.I.T.A. to load on the trailer but the positive sides far outweigh the negatives.

Be safe & enjoy, Elliot:wink:

12. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I am excited for you, your dad, and your grandparents Zakk! I know y'all have been wanting a toon for awhile now.

Hope y'all love it as much as we do ours.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Congrats. Zakk, I Also Would Like To Get A Pontoon. But I'll Have To Wait Awhile.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you everyone. It's a Party Barge 18, actually is 19ft, 8 inches, I guess. Should be awesome for catfishing. Thanks for all the advice....we should get the boat in the next month or so.

15. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Catfishing in comfort!....ahhhhh, can't be beat.

Congratulations Zakk!

BTW...I think Vick is big on boats. I read an article once that he has a big boat with the Nike logo on it and goes fishing in the VA Beach area all the time. I can't imagine what I'd do if I had $60 mil at my disposal.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Zakk, congrats brother, now you can go where they're at, good luck with the new toon, and slime it up real good.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Zakk, congratulations on that new boat! I'm sure you'll love it.

We have a 20 ft barge.

18. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought fishing boat last june. After I bought it I got the feeling my wife really wanted a pontoon instead. Maybe a "toon" may be in my future. Anyway I hope you catch a cat beyond your dreams.
    Wooly

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks everyone, and I have some really cool news! The boat is being delivered THIS SATURDAY!!! Woo-hoo! I can hardly wait! We are signing the final papers on Friday night at Bass pro, and we will go ahead and get some required stuff.

Hopefully some rod holders also, doesn't driftmaster make good pole holders that mount on the rail?

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes they do Zakk. I am going to make a post in a couple days showing how to make some inside rails to make one of those things easier to load. Did you get the single axle or double axle trailer. and is it a bunk type or scissor type trailer.