Getting a new shotgun in a few months

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by WhoJosh, Aug 17, 2009.

1. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    For the past few months I've been saving up for a new shotgun. I'm going to get a Benelli Nova 12ga. that I will be using for an all around hunting gun (deer, turkey, waterfowl, dove, etc). My local Dick's Sporting Goods has the Nova for 439.99. Has anyone who has owned this gun had any problems with it? Just making sure I'm using my money on a dependable shotgun.

2. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio

3. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A guy I know has one, but continues to fall back on his old Mossberg 500. Frankly, I think they're all hype, stick with reliable 870, my gun of choice.

4. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont care for them either. my buddy bought 1 last year and we went out shooting clays. We had a mossberg 500,835 and a nova, out of all 3, I would put the nova last.I just didnt think it shoulderd very well and the pump is pretty cumbersome, imo the nova is cheaply made for what you have to pay. If you want a decent Benelli be prepared to shell out way over a grand.

I would stick to the trusty 500 and get a slug barrel for way under what you pay for a nova and you will have alot less heartaches:wink: By the way Stoeger makes some pretty nice shotguns also. they are just unpolished higher end benelli's for alot less dough imo. great gun for the money also:wink:

5. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    rem 870 nuff said

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Benelli makes great semi autos but I have been told by three different gun shop owners to set a rem 870 if a pump is what you want. The 870 is the gold standard that all the other pumps try to be.

7. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    mossberg 500 all the way the gun remington wish they produced:smile2:get a 870 if you want a gun that shoots like turd sliding down a iced slope:smile2:

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Old saying,,,"Cheap no good and good no cheap". You always get what you pay for.

9. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    that old saying usually goes for people with to much money in their pockets.
    you must not ever field tested a nova my friend :smile2: 500 out shot my 835 and my buddies nova by far and the nova was the highest priced gun out there that day and the 500 the cheapest:roll_eyes: But I guess comparing mossberg to rem. is like comparing chevy to ford. Dont get me wrong I would be a very proud to own a rem.:wink:1100 competition any day

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Another old saying, "most expensive isn't always the best"

After quality issues I've had and seen with Remington shotguns, I won't have another one.
    With the Mossberg pumps, you can treat them like red headed step kids and they'll still function.

As for the Benelli Nova, I'd save up and get a Benelli semi-auto. They do know how to make a semi-auto shotgun.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have ten benelli M1 super 90's and one old Super Black Eagle at my hunting lodge in Paraguay that are rental guns. As a rule I change the springs in the bolt and the recoil spring in the stock every two years. These guns get fired on average 20,000 times a year. I sell the benellis after 5 seasons and 100,000 rounds. So far after ten years in this business, I have had only one benelli break on me. That was a brand new M1 Super 90 from the first day the gun was in single shot mode. Ended up being a bad trigger assembly that Benelli replaced under warranty. My old Super Black Eagle which was my personal duck gun in the states and is now 17 years old and had easily 250,000 rounds through it rattles like an old screen door in a thunderstorm but still shoots flawlessly. I rent those guns for $50 per day. I figure that old Super Black Eagle that I paid $900 for new in 1992 has brought in close to $20,000 in rental income. Am I a Benelli Auto man, you betcha.

12. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Benelli does make one fine semi-auto, but in a pump gun there is much more to be had for ALOT less money. I plan on getting a another 500 this year but in synthetic stock.I have owned mine for over 15 years and I am a very avid pheasant,deer hunter.Iv dropped it in creeks and everything, u name it,it has prob.seen it over the years. I just dont want to see Whojosh,go buy a NOVA and go out opening day and be disappointed in a gun,that he's saved up for the last couple months for. Not everyone owns a hunting lodge or has deep pockets.
    A 500 you will be able to pass down to your future generations without a worry:wink:.
    Whojosh if you think your going to want a higher-end gun later on.I would save up the cash now and go for a higher-end benelli or better yet a browning :wink: But I would seriously try to get out and try a nova before you buy,I have to admit they did catch my eye until I got to shoot it:sad2:

13. so ill catman

so ill catman New Member

State:
    illinois
    If u are going for a pump it is hard to beat the 870. If you are interested in a used 870 I have a buddy with one for sale.

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say go with what you want . Personally I have a few different guns for different game . My best is the Beretta xtrema that thing is a bad mamajama bought it new a few years back for 1895.00 best bird gun I have ever had .

15. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I shot competition skeet for many years. I have found that finding a reliable gun that fits you is the key to being a successful shot. Yes, the 870 pump is one of the greatest pumps ever made. They last for years and look great. I can't hit a bull in the butt with them, though. They simply don't fit me, out of the box. I seem to fit very well to the Benelli, Browning, and Ithica pumps. The Winchesters aren't bad. I do love the Remingtons, but have to spend another $100 to get it to fit me like I want.

I have fired many shells through my Nova without a malfunction of any kind. I wished that I had bought the 24 inch barrel, the 26 incher seems long on the 3.5 inch reciever.

Most any of the pumps will give you great service, so pick the one that seems to shoulder the best for you. Close your eyes, shoulder the gun, then open your eyes. Is the sight picture what you think it should be? When I do this with a Remington I see the middle of the rib, not the bead. I tend to shoot high with a Remington. If you live near a skeet club try visiting on Saturday. Many shooters will be glad to let you try a round or 2 to check the fit.

The local Academy Sports in Spartanburg, SC runs the Benelli pumps for $350 or less.

God Bless All,
    Steve

16. kingcat12

kingcat12 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    bennelis are good guns but expensive. go with the mossberg 500 12 gauge with never let you down.

17. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    my favorite gun i own is a older model Mossberg 500 with both barrels (slug barrel and a Mod barrel !!! this gun shoots better then any gun ive fired so far !! i can take deer at 125 yds with the slug barrel !!!

18. ol'catmandoo

ol'catmandoo New Member

State:
    S.E IA
    yep I would have to go with the trusty 500 myself:wink: