Getting a new boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by breadboy, Jun 21, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Finally, my dad has been looking towards getting another boat. We have a small 12' jon boat and a 15' river hawk (it is not a heavy-duty version and is shaped like a canoe almost). We have a low budget (sister goes to college at UNC, and I will probably go to a big college also), so it has to be under 8000 I suppose, completely rigged. What do you guys recommend? We want a jon-boat, and my dad has arthritis in his shoulders and back, so he can't use a tiller, so we need a steering console. We need one that isn't too tippy and we could stand up in or possible walk. I might add, we are big men! I am 5'11, 250 pounds (was a linemen in football) and my dad is about 6'4, 270 pounds. We are considering a 14' Lowe Big Jon, with a side-console. Sound good? Thanks.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Not a bad choice though I would think about the 1648 just because a console takes up a lot of space in a 14' boat. Not a lot of moving around room. Those boats are good and stable. I can stand on the side rails and not tip one.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I would also consider a TRACKER GRIZZLY 1754 SC All-Welded Jon. You should be able to come in around 8k for one.

I have one and have really been happy with it.

4. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys. we will either go with the 14' or 16' Lowe Big Jon probably. I know they have Tracker grizzlies at the Bass Pro 4 hours away. We are about to go sometime since it's summer, so that might be a possibility as well.

5. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    http://www.boattraderonline.com/
    check this site out- nice to do some comparison shopping-and they list used boats in your area as well.
    For a flat bottom boat, I like the Carolina Skiff, nice and roomy.

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Alright thanks. My dad is a big fan of aluminum jons though. Our 12' one he has had for over 40 years and it works fine. he used it in the river near his family's farm and caught flathead's over 40 pounds :eek:oooh: ! he showed me some pictures, and they were about the size of his little brother (not little anymore lol). I use the 12' in the 300 acre lake behind our house, but it is a hassle to fish out of.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Alright, my dad is gong over to the local boat dealer this week. We might take it to Kansas in 2 weeks, and possibly stop and fish the cumberland river and some others maybe :big_smile: .

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck on rounding up a new boat. Hope it works out great for ya.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Just my opinion but if you want stability, given the sizes of you 2, please do yourself the favor and get at least a 16 footer.

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    oh yeah, I tried to edit my post, but it didn't work. I was going to say we were expressing interest the most in the 1648 Lowe, rigged with a 25hp Yamaha. thanks. I doubt we will get the 14 footer.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on the new boat

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    we haven't got it yet, but are trying to get it soon :big_smile: .

13. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A 14 or 16 foot Lowe would make you a nice boat.

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a Lowe 1654 and it great for the wife and I, just keep in mind that more room is a good thing.

15. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had the Lowe 16' and it was an awesome little boat. Mine was tiller with a 9.9 though and I really needed a 25 hp. I really miss that boat.

16. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    congrats on the new boat

17. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I'd go with at least a 16 foot. check out the internet too. I saw a 2003 1754 grizzly with a 25 horse mercury 4 stroke go for 4800 last week on ebay. it even came with anchors, depth finder, the whole nine.

18. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    my dad just went to the boat dealer and they are rigging it up:
    Lowe 1648 (16 foot) with a side steering wheel console
    Yahama 25 hp 2-stroke
    Long Trailer

total price: 6,000 greenbacks, with us trading in our river hawk.

:smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

19. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Congratulations, Kyle. I've been loving my little jon boat (1436) from Academy, but it's a little small. I'm just careful about where and when I fish, but in that tank of yours, I'm sure you'll have one dandy of a time.

When you can, post some pictures. Again, congratulations to you and your dad.

20. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I'm not the best with compoopers, but I will try to load up a pic if I can. We got to take it home finally. Can't wait to get it wet.