Getting a new AutoPilot!

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hope to pick up a new auto-pilot trolling motor before the weekend. No more spinning circles while I tie hooks or bait up. Point her and go!

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    let us know how she does and if you like her.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    You will love that auto pilot. I love the one on my ranger.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Mike, I sure love mine. Get the remote control to, you will be glad you did.

ST

5. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa

you lucky dog, what are you going to do with your old one. sure could use a better one on my boat depending on what thrust it is.

clayton

6. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton,

I'm trading it in towards the new one.

I think I can add the remote control later but I'm not sure I would need it. Why do you find it handy? I'm afraid I would lose it.

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Mike, you won't loose it, it has a strap for it to wear like a wrist watch or hook on your belt. It also comes with some clips that you can put on your rods and clip it to them.

I like it cause it is just easier than a foot control. I also like to sit in the bottom of the boat and use the deck kinda like a worktop to keep all my stuff on and with the remote I don't have to worry about the foot pedal. The foot control on my Minn Kota is a little backward from the regular cable control foot pedals. On it you have to heel down instead of toe down to turn it on and the remote was so easy to use I ain't never even got to where I can use the foot control yet. Shilohred says he holds the foot pedal in his lap to run his.

You can add the remote later though if you decide you want it, if it is a Minn Kota anyway. The only thing you have to do to mount it is remove 2 screws from the side of the base and put the receiver on and use the longer screws that come with it and screw in on the side and then plug it into a socket and you are ready to go.

You will love the auto pilot it is just to handy.

ST

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the older autopilot with the wireless foot control, sure does make it convenient. I can run the motor from anywhere in the boat, as a foot control or handheld, most of the time it sits on the center console.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mike, you'll like the auto-pilot, especially in calm waters. I have the 24 volt saltwater version with remote control, and it is great. The only thing I would like is to be able to activate the autopilot with the remote instead of manually on the motor. Now it won't entirely compensate for side winds or currents, but it will do a pretty fair job of keeping the boat headed in the right direction.

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Sounds like a great upgrade.

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

I agree. That would be better.

I thought that when they first came out they would deploy with a push of a button and stow themselves too. Am I right or have I been dreaming?

ST

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Your going to love it! So nice to be doing something and forget your running the motor and when you look up your still on course. All you hear is a grrrr.....grrrr.......grrr...gr.......grrrrr the sound of it making it's own little corrections, sweeeet!

13. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    SeedTick, thanks for the info. I might consider that upgrade to the "co-pilot" remote. I've found that in the business of landing a fish, someone will invariably step on the "off" button on the trolling motor. It also adds to the clutter in the bottom of the boat...just one more thing to trip over. I hope they can get it on today. I'm anxious to try it out this weekend.

Mike.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Seedtick, I was referring to having to press a button of the head of the motor to activate the auto-pilot function. I can start/steer the motor with my remote, but the auto-pilot is a separate function.
    I'm pretty sure there are/were some models of trollers that raise and lower with the touch of a button, though.

15. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have they invented a remote control that automatically cleans the fish?

16. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow! AutoPilot is so cool. I just had to go out the Coralville Res for a little bit tonight to test it out. I think the heat index was like 119 or so but I didn't care because my boat was trolling straight as an arrow. I caught two 5 lbers and one 7.5 lb. in about 45 minutes of trolling. The boat would go crooked as I reeled in the fish, but the old AutoPilot would straighten her right out. I even intentionally stuck my head up my a$$ to see what would happen and, sure enough, when I pulled my head out the boat was still on course with my baits straight behind the boat! If you feel you can't afford an AutoPilot, I recommend you sell your wife and/or children. Heck, you might get enough money to buy one for your buddy!

Mike.