Getting a little boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catfishing is fun, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can get a regular jon 14 ft. jon boat for that price. Get as much open floor space in the boat as you can and make sure you have somewhere to mount rod holders.

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I have a 10' Buster Boat that I'm going to fix up for catting. They're nice for small lakes, ponds and streams.
    Just remember, it's a small boat and take it easy in it.

Will

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Marshall, I've got one of the Pelican Predators. It's a neat little unit. I fish alone a lot and it's really easy to handle by yourself and rated for more weight that comparable boats. It will handle a 7 HP motor. I liked it as it is filled with floatation. I put a 40# thrust trolling motor on it as I like to fish the lectric only facilities, but have had it on big water too. It can go shallow like you won't believe. It's very stable. The down side is you are'nt gonna modify it much. I bought it at a marine sales, didn't know squat bout boats, wanted a Jon, but they cost much more than I expected and were rated for much less load capacity. My buddies called it a floating "hottub" till they tried it out. The dealer said he sells bout 200 Jons a year, but over 500 of the Predators. It gets barrowed a lot, and have had several offers to "Why don't you store that up here stead of down the city." I want a 14ft. Jon with all the trimmings, but I'm fishing, and won't have any trouble selling the predator when I'm ready to move up. Hope this helps.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i saw some guys fishing on tv with that boat. they were fishing for crappie and they almost fell off every time. so idk if you want that boat.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't know about the Pelican boats, but the one from K L Industries has a weakness...on K L's website, they have the repair manual. In it, they state that the material the hull is made of is vulnerable to abraision; they go on to say that it is unrepairable.:eek:oooh:

That said, they make a cool little 12' jon.

6. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    There are a couple pieces of advice that I could give you...ultimately though it is your decision.

-The first thing is that the boats that you are interested in are made of various types of plastic. I was really looking into one of them while living in Georgia. It was perfect to fit in the back of my truck and I thought that it would work well for me. Since then, I moved to Arizona. I found out later that the plastic boats wouldn't work at all in Arizona because most of the places that I fish have jagged rocks. The last thing I would want is a puncture hole from it. Thinking about it more, I realized that even moving it around on a boat ramp would eventually wear holes into the hull.

-The second thing to think about is stability/moveability for the two of you. These boats are limited in size. Moving around on them is limited. As well, if you are on any decent sized river, these boats can get swamped pretty easy.

I currently have a Lowe 12ft V-hull aluminum boat. It is nothing pretty. It is all I can afford. I can put it in the back of my truck and transport it just about anywhere. The boat itself weighs about 120lbs and does a good job. I can fish comfortable by myself. I can fish with another person, but find that space is limited. The total setup brand new with a decent motor is between $1,500 to $2,000. You can find cheaper used things for much less.

The best advice that I can give you are these thoughts. You can save a little more and buy a used larger boat that will give you more space and stability. A friend of mine bought a 14ft boat off E-bay for a good price...sometimes I wish I would have got something bigger that was used. The second thing is to weigh out where you fish, what you fish mostly for, and how many people there will be. If you catfish heavily, and especially being from Missouri, can you think of pulling up a 40lb, 50lb, 100lb catfish in a tiny boat. It would be a challenge none the less.

Just my thoughts,

Ryan

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Plastic boats can work well in rocky environments. White water kayakers wouldn't use anything else. On the other hand, the problem with the plastic pontoon fishing boats like the Pelican is the plastic, with age, can crack. The sun is the enemy to most plastics. Those of us who use plastic kayaks wipe them down with a product called 303, or in a pinch, Armor All. That will protect them from UV rays.

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I watched the classified ads in our local paper and saw several used boat and trailer and often they would have a small outboard moter included, for under $1,000.00. I'm very happy with the 14 foot semi V aluminum boat, 6 hp. Evinrude and trailer for $850.00. Had a little money left over to assesorize it.

9. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    An other thing about getting a used boat, the seller may throw in extras as, cushions, life vests, 1 or 2 anchers, rope, fishing equipment, amounting to couple hundred bucks.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you are not familiar with boat motors, find someone who is, or insist on taking the boat to a boat motor mechanic to have it checked out. Too often, the " I want a boat" desire overcomes common sense when buying used or new, but it hits very hard with used boats and motors.

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If you decide on one of the ones you have listed check on e bay. WATCH what the shipping is tho.
    I would think about a small john boat.
    Bill

12. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    the jon boat i belive will be more stable in most part what your paying for with shipping could get you a well made jon or small vboat this is the end of season start calling the boat dealers and see what they have left over many are willing to make a deal, you can very well get more boat for your buck.

13. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks for all your help and info guys

14. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    ive been looking around and im thinkin about gettin about a 14ft jon boat, from basspro here in springfield they cost about 900 for a normal and about 1000 for one with a live well dose this sound good