Getting a flathead catfish mount

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Dec 10, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wouldnt mind having a grapite reproduction mount. I read in the old catfish insider that it costs $10.00 per inch so for me right now $420.00. if Id get one right now. Does anyone know of a cheaper place in illinois?

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    could someone explain to me what exactly a graphite replica is(as in how its made and such)? not to familiar with em. our gander mountian has quite a few bass replicas and a couple walleye and muskie replicas.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not sure about graphite but with fiberglass they make a mould then cast a replica of resin and fiberglass then paint and they look like the real thing check out Bass pro too they also do fish replicas

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chris, $10 an inch might be a tad on the cheap side for a lot of today's taxidermists. Because of the physical makeup of the catfish it is impossible to mount the real thing. This means the taxidermist will have to purchase a form, by the way these forms can be very expensive. Then they have to add the fins, the eyes, paint, etc. It can be very costly for them and that cost will be passed on to the customer. Vern

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    iv been checkin out some websites since i saw this post and im thinkin a flathead turning with its mouth open going for a bluegill would look pretty nifty on the wall to the right of this computer desk:roll_eyes: havnt seen any sites with pictures of that tho so maybe im aiming a little to high:lol:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
  8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    You could buy a lot of fishing equipment with that $450.00 . New trolling motor, good used outboard, used 14 ft. aluminum boat, fish finder, etc. Get a lot of use out of these items while that fake catfish collects dust in your room. primitive

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ive seen several catfish mounts from big flatties that were caught out of santee and they really don't look as realistic as a bass mount. But Im sure if you pay enought money someone out there is good enough to do it.

Wheelmobile07

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    There's a good question to ask. Has any one seen a good looking replica flathead mount? I plan on having only one made, thats going to be of my state record flathead just as soon as I catch him. I hear all they need is tons of photos and the measurements, and then I can release the fish to get even larger.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only one I've seen were at Bass Pro in Columbia, Mo. Some look good. Some not so good. Seems the most important thing is mouth detail. With that big ol' mouth open so you can look down the throat and see the gills then it looks pretty cool.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I've seen all kinds of mounts, the salt water guys get awesome ones made. I have never seen a flathead mount. I just wondered if some company out there makes "great" ones. I wouldn't want to pay for something ugly or goofy looking. lol

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont know if they do catfish or not i sent a message with request for catfish photo's of any repkica work they have done but the price seems good to me
    http://www.globalfishmounts.com/ok.htm?

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    There is a flathead in the meeting room of the new San Antonio, TX, Bass Pro. It looks great imo. Might call them or get them to send a picture. I don't get there often, but if I get by in the next few months, I will post a picture.

Jim

15. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i talked to a friends girlfriends dad yesterday about making a flathead mount he said it can be done but to get them to look good is a pain in the but trying to talk him into trying one for me he has done several bass and walleye mounts that look awsome and has won some trophys for them i will let you know if i get him to build it for me

16. FlattHunter

FlattHunter New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I bet it would cost alot

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    this company called me back i gave them a measurement of 42" they said it would be $420. and only comes in a flat wall mount faceing left or right . to steep for me .