Getting a carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by smitty1963, Jul 6, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm mainly go for mr. whiskers but I hear that carp can give you one heck of a fight any advice on bait and hook size rigging etc?????

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont know much about carp,Ken. I use whole kernal corn and the doughbait ,you got the recipe in a PM I sent ya. Hook sizes,for me most anything from a tiny #8 to a 1/0 circle work I just ust whatever is handy:wink:
    I rig ,slipsinkers ,[carolina] with about an 18-24" leader from my hook to the swivel.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Whole kernel corn works the best..Bread works also...Use small hooks (of good qualitly) a good size carp will bend a cheaply made small hook...Their are sorts of rigs from bolt rig to hair rigs...Standard Carolia rigs work as well...Best if you prebait the morning (sometimes for two straight days) before to increase your odds...They will give you a good work out on a medium bass style rod and ten pound test...:wink:

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use ultralight spinning gear with the drag turned down a bit. bait is bread or biscuit dough, and no weight. i just caught a mess of 2-6 pounders this morning for bait.

5. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    New at this so I am gonna ask... when you say prebait what works best sweet corn or just regular corn? I know that I am supposed to use whole kernel but could I prebait with cream style (like a chum):eek:oooh: then use the whole kernel stuff? And do you just thread the hook with the kernels? Thanks for the advise!:smile2:

6. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    You want to use whole kernel sweet corn.Personally I buy the cheapest can available as long as it's sweet corn.Like someone above said make sure you have a quality hook.I use size 2 Owner or Gamakatsu,nice thick hooks that won't bend if you catch that whopper.Size is up to you though,typically I pond fish and catch 1-5 pounders but remember that carp have small mouths so their weight is not always the issue.

7. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I would say a size 4 baitholder works best. Sweet Corn and Marshmallows are the best bait I use, nightcrawlers and crawdads work good to.

8. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i do not intentionally go after carp, ive caught 2 big ones of 15 and 25 pounds, while goin for mr. whiskers. ive seen them caught on hooks a baby bluegill can swollow whole, all the way up to my 8/0 gamakatsu circles, although i wouldnt suggest big hooks because of their small mouths

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well you might want to do a search for a hair rig.

I tried one last week and tied into a pair of dandys.

Also I think smaller hooks better, they seem to be very hook shy. And tend to suck bait to the back of their throat then spit it back out again. They may do this 2 or 3 times.

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    As far as hooks go I have caught carp in the river and lakes both on plain old crappie hooks.You can tell them cause they are gold in color.If I dont have those I just go with a #2 or so.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    there, that is Something that DOESN'T work for me.

I never catch carp on worms UNLESS the water is high. Sometimes I suspect carp to be on the of the smarter game fish.

Instead of just slurping a worm right up, The MR carp (in my local river) stares at it- thinks ("hey its not rained for two weeks") and full of suspician he moves along without so much as bumping it. Give the same river a muddy streak and sometimes all you get is carp after carp. Anyone else have similar experiences of NOT catching carp with nightcrawlers?

12. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I've picked up carp now & then on nightcrawlers. The big one that ran off with my wifes rod was on nightcrawler with a piece of bacon on top. I have NO idea what he thought that was. :)

Doughballs seem to work better more often. Often on the shallow edge in slower water.

I agree they can be very cagey, and smart at times.

I watched 20 of them one night sucking in mayflys off the surface and they wouldn't touch anything else. Catch one and the odds of catching another one out of that bunch are slim.