Getting a Bite when a boat goes by

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by sscharlie, May 1, 2009.

1. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I have noticed over the years that I will get a bite, I fish for channels, when a boat comes screeming by or a heavy truck drive by in close distance from me. Even noticed it with a train track close by. I've always considered the right way is to be quiet while fishing. Has enyone else notice anything like this? I'm in no way suggesting to make a bunch of noise to attract bites either but does the sound waves or vibrations make the cats grab and run more.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can attest to that!

Though I have not noticed it with small boats. Barges and trains, yes.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've had that happen,,,,more than once.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have noticed this happening with barge traffic on the river. The only thing that might makes this work is it stirs up a lot of sediment.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Saw a recent episode of River Monsters and they were using that cup looking thingy (forgot what it is called) to splash the water surface. And they showed the WELS CATS on an underwater camera actually coming up to investigate.

Now.......somebody remind me what that technique is called before it drives me crazy.

Also observed a commercial fisherman on the river once going around his nets that he just set and plunking a toilet plunger on top of the water to drive the fish into his nets or stir them up or something??????

But yes.....back to topic....have had more than one occasion where a barge would be going by and suddenly start getting bites.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

i think it is called klonking, darryl...they do it with a klonker

7. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here's my take on noise. Sudden noises like dropping your tacklebox into the bottom of the boat will typically scare fish away. Sound travels through water about 4 times faster than through air (yes it's true).

Because of this, I believe that fish can hear/sense approaching objects (cars, boats, trains, etc.) long before we can. They are used to approaching noise throughout their life span. However, I think that as the approaching sound reaches it's peak, the fish have to make one of two decisions. Either swim away and forget the meal, or take the meal and then swim away. Being opportunistic predators, they usually opt for the later. Again, this applies to approaching noise, and not sudden noise like a dropped tacklebox.

We tend to forget that fish will sometimes inspect a bait for some time before they pounce on the prey (hook/bait). It's these times when a fish is being patient that I believe causes them to take the hook when a loud noise is approaching. They either leave with nothing, or leave with something.

My 1 1/2 cents. . .

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    The theory of taking the bate and running from the noise seems to make sense to me, we make hasty decisions when we must act quickly, and they likely would rather leave with the bait and escape as well....however it doesnt account to the use of splashing by commerical fisherman to attract fish....so I am more incline to agree with theory but questions are still on the table.

9. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I primarily fish a tidal river in VA. If the tide is not moving, I love to see the boat traffic. If the wakes rock my boat, they also make the bait move.

10. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I don't know about catfish but when crappie fishing if you take your rod tip and shake it up and down just touching the water making a fast light splash that it will excite them into becoming more aggresive - fish obviously know the sound of other fish hitting bait but as far catfish and man made noise I've never personally put any thought to it - If alot of other people exsperience the same thing surely there is something to it:confused2:eek:r is there:eek:oooh:

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  12. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Randy, You made one hell of a answer there and I agree. The reason I asked this post was this. While I'm fishing, I don't like to catch a fish when someone is motering by. It's not that I won't share a fishing hole but by god, I found it and I sure as hell don't want to draw any more attention to it. But I'll be damned if it won't happen that way.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive noticed some boat traffic makes a nibbling cat grab and run but a butthole rolling past at a 100 mph being disrespectful i find dosent do anything but get you hung up.happenes everytime some jerk does that the big wake ends up sending my bait into a snag,so when they come by me doing that you might as well start reeling in until the water settles a little or you will have to re rig.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Saw a fishing show on TV once they were catfishing and they had a 5 hp motor they would let idle while fishing. They had tried without the idleing motor they said they.

15. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Kyle, That make sense. I'm thinking it stimulates the fish into thinking food of some type has dropped from a tree. Weather its a worm, bug, bird doo or anything else. Kinda like being bored and you take a snip of worm and throw it into the water and watch the little bluegills take it like it's the last meal in their life. Well, it was for some of them. LOL! Thats how I catch small bluegills. I use the smallest hook I can find and put a small, very small snip of worm and use no wieght and let it float naturaly down and BAM, they run like hell with it. And it's their last meal on earth.

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its called klonking..I was talking about this in another thread and this is what I said..."All fish have a lateral line that picks up movement and vibrations in the water..Some fish use it differently than others,like fish that school use it to keep from bumping into each other,and predatory fish of course use it to pick up erratic vibrations made by wounded baitfish or bugs on the surface..Some fish also send out a sort of "fear scent" which may be caused by loud sounds of barges or trains or cars crossing a bridges or such..Those predatory fish are reacting to that scent..You know how you were always told not to tap on the glass of a fish tank,thats why, it scares the fish.."

17. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    It's funny you mentioned that - last week I went to a watershed with some buddies to bass fish and I got out of the boat with my ultralight and a cooler with a doz. worms - went up the feeder creek and found a blow down with about 2ft of water and the gills were stacked around it - my though BAIT - I use a salmon egg hook with no weight and they slammed it - 2lb test so it was alot of fun - I finally got tiered of unhooking them so I put a piece of worm on that covered the entire hook and I would pull em real fast and they go flying up on the bank and off the line - ended up with about 40 in 15 mins. or so - wish the kids would have been there!!!:big_smile: