GETTING A 14' JON BOAT

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by motard1, Aug 5, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    GETTING ONE TOMORROW. I TRADED MY CANOE FOR IT AND A TRAILER,NO MOTOR. WHAT SIZE MOTOR SHOULD I GET? I LAUNCHED MY CANOE AT A RAMP THATS SILTED IN. THE WATER AT THE END OF THE CREEK IS 10 INCHES DEEP. I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE GO DEVIL MOTORS. I ALSO FOUND SOME TILLER STEER MERCS AND JOHNSONS CHEAP. WILL ONE DO SOMETHING THE OTHER WON'T. WHAT ABOUT MODIFYING THE BOAT. ROD HOLDERS,DECKS,LIVEWELLS,AND BAITWELLS. I AM PRIMARILY GETTING THIS TO BOWFISH,BUT MAY USE IT FOR FISHING ALSO. JUST A ????? WHATS THE BIGGEST MOTOR I SHOULD USE ON THIS. 1 THING,WHAT ABOUT WIDENING ONE? I MODIFY LARGE AIRCRAFT AT WORK. SO WHAT ABOUT WIDENING AN ALUMINUM BOAT? IS IT POSSIBLE? I THINK SO,JUST WANTING ADVICE. THANKS!!!

2. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Congrats on the boat. I have fished from a 14', 36 in wide (measured at the bottom of the boat by the transom) for over 40 years. I used a 15 horse Jonson all that time and finally just wore it out. I have a 10 horse on it now and it does just fine. I would like a wider boat, say a 48 in., but they are in short supply. I would say don't overload the boat with too many gadgets and stuff. Keep it light weight and don't overload it. I bow fished off mine after I added a removable rail that bolted to the front. I had to be careful, but it worked fine. I just made a lot of trips back to the dock to unload the carp and gar. You can get a lot of fishing out of that boat. It will go places that most other boats will not within reason. They don't like waves or stumps, but what boat does. The mud motor is a good choice if you will always be running in very shallow water. I never used anything but my regular motor and oars when necessary. Catfishjon

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    THANKS. JUST WONDERING ABOUT THE WORKINGS OF A SMALLER JON BOAT.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Whats the biggest motor I should put on the 14' jon?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There should be a metal plate on the inside of the transom that tells the maximum horsepower the boat is rated for.

If you get the regular type outboard, make sure that the shallow water drive setup works OK. That's a doohicky that flips up to keep the outboard tilted up about halfway, so that the prop is barely in the water. Great for shallow and/or stumpy spots.
    If you go the Mud Devil route, keep in mind that a 10hp motor isn't going to push you nearly as fast as a 10hp outboard, so you may want to get one with a larger motor. Be sure to check the weight of the Mud Devil against the weight of the outboards; too much weight, and you start getting to where it's easy to ship water over the corners of the boat when you lean a little too much.

6. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i got a 14 ft by 42 or 48 in

since i bass fish a lot outta it i built a deck on it

have a borrowed 5 hr briggs n stratton on back and trollin motor on front. for bow fishin the deck would be a good idea i think for you

new old??? lol mine is 1964 and i sanded outside bottom down and rolled on bedliner, helped a bunch as far as leaks, still got a few dribblers somewhere but is dealable

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    It's used. If it leaks,I'll take it to work and weld it. I am thinking about a deck. Before that, gotta find a motor.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had/have a 14 footer, the earlier one was 36" wide, and had a 20 evinrude. Pushed the boat very well. My lake boat is a 48"wide, and I have a 15 evinrude, and it does well with 3 fat guys and a load of gear. Hope this helps. Later Andy

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Congrats on the new boat. As far as a motor goes dont know much about the go devil. But with a outboard find the info plate in the boat should be on the transom and see what it tells you the max hp is. I would suggest go with the max hp. You will be happier if you can afford it. You usually can find older outboards in good shape for a reasonable price. I used to have older Johnson motors and had great luck with them. IMO they are bullet proof. When you go to fix it up make sure you dont over due it with weight. I used to bowfish a lot and you want to be able to get into real shallow water a lot of times. If possible build a removable deck up front to shoot from. Good luck with your project think everything out before doing it and it will turn out great:big_smile:.

Tom

10. kayakcattin

kayakcattin New Member

State:
    texas
    if i was you i wouldnt put anything bigger than a 25 horse. hope this helps! congrats

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Depends on how wide the floor is. If its a 14x32 or 36" i wouldn't go any bigger than a 15. If its got a 42-48" wide floor I wouldn't go any bigger than 25hp. As for the "mud motors", i would seriously take a look at the gator tale or pro drive (or similar configurations) as these have a reverse gear and dont stick out the back of the boat when trailering. You can watch videos of these motors on youtube. If you aren't wanting to go real fast the 5hp briggs and stratton air cooled engine wouldn't be bad in shallow water because of its lack of a water pump.

I have no experience as an engineer, but widening a boat shouldn't be too bad a job as long as you can keep enough reinforcing to keep it from folding in half or twisting with the torque of the motor, which would cause weld/rivet failures.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It is very easy to get a jon overloaded with gadgets. I would try for the max HP rating. What does the plate say? I am guessing it is rated for 25 HP

13. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I AM LOOKING AT THE BRIGGS MOTORS. PRETTY COOL. I JUST DON'T WNNA BE UNDERPOWERED. I'D RATHER BE OVER THAN UNDER!!!!!!!

14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    You will be happier with the max motor that the plate has on it. The boat will perform better and handle better in rough water. To small and you wont be happy with it and wonder why in the heck you went that way. That boat should be rated for a 20 or 25 horse.

Tom

15. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am running a 2004 model 15 horsepower Mercury four-stroke on my 1966 model 14'0" Larson V-bottom. My motor has the shallow drive feature and does not use shear pins. I rarely have to use my trolling motor unless I'm bass fishing or jigging for crappie. I am currently in the process of adding a removable deck. I have to replace the wooden seats every few years and have been thinking about trying some of the composite decking material from Lowe's.

16. catkiller1234

catkiller1234 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    we have a 14' wide in half we have 25 horse

17. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    off topic but you said you modify aircraft for a living? just curios what do you mean by modify? I am in the aviation industry myself just wondering bro

18. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    My 1436 tracker says its top hp is 10.
    I use a 6, it gets me around the trinity as fast as i want to go.

19. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I found a 7.5 johnson. Gonna try and get it today. I figure it will do wqhat I WANT IT TO.

20. mr_mississippi

mr_mississippi New Member

State:
    texas
    Hey Im in Texas as well and also just bought a 14ft jon. keep me posted oh your ideas and customizations. im looking for ideas.