Gettin skunked? cape fear

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by 01 Mudslinger, May 20, 2006.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    am i the only one, went out last weekend friday and sat nite, went out last nite, till midnite, nothing, zip, nadda, not even a bite, ive used everything from dough bait to minnows, to worms last nite we had eels, and saw triston set up at the tresle, i went just above that bout 20yards up from it, nothing, later on i moved down below the trestle, still nothing, finally got aggravated and left. are they bitin more in the evening before dark or what, figure i should atleast be catchin something.

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    its been happenin to me and i CANNOT figure out why. i've fished in tons of different places,conditions even baits and i keep findin myself sittin on the bank twiddlin my thumbs. its really bummin me out

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Friday night for me was slow. I got four nice cats right after sunset drifting. Then I anchored up on several points from 9:00pm-12:00 and caught nothing. I switched back to drifting and caught four more. Odd kinda bite. Usually the shallows are where they are at in the evenings.

4. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    I went out two nites last week and between those two nites ended up with about 100lbs cats caught. and finally caught my first flathead ever. and every one was caught on eels. and i lost one that broke my 40lb leader. i was bank fishing.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Mudslinger i have fished the cape many many many nights and got skunked...fished deep, fished shallow, fished holes, fished structure..it did not matter i couldn't even buy a bite, we even had eels, fresh shad and blue gill it did not matter,,,NOTHING!!!

6. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    well i aint giving up, im off thurs. thru monday this week so im gone hit em hard this weekend. hopefully somthing will come around. went to a pond this afternoon on the backside of bragg that not alot of people know about and slammed em, bout 9 really nice bass, and bookoos of bream.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Was it the old Rockefeller estate?
    Not many folks know the Rockefellers had an estate on the back side of Bragg.

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Mudslinger,

while I was stationed at Bragg, we used to fish the cape fear in Lillington. we used to catch some nice cats in that stretch of river (bank fishing) and it's only 20 minutes from post.

9. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    you talking about raven rock, down in lillington? i heard about that place, right down 210 from me, not sure on the rockefellar estates thing, the pond is on the backside of springlake pretty much on the boundary line of ft. bragg, i think its closed down, i just kinda sneaked in there bout 40 min. before dark.

10. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Mark, I live near the Rockerfellow Estate. Used to fish it before Ft. Bragg took it over. Has some awesome ponds on it if you can get acess to them. Hunter, a very good place to bank fish is the wildlife area on what we around here call the prison camp road. Only about three miles east of Lillington . Going toward Raleigh, just as you come into town, take a right at Crossroads Church and watch for the wildlife area on your left , just below the prison camp ( Harnett Corrections Center ) . There have been some nice cats caught right at the boat ramp. Several good spots to fish during the week when the beer parties aren't going on. A lot of the area has been posted because of the abuse. If you are unsure about these directions pm me and I'll give you a local number for me. Do you still keep your boat at Shady Grove ? I know a guy that lives there ( Shady Grove ) . Keep trying , you will find you a honey hole around the area. I was taught , sometimes you have to stop and REGROUP !!!!

11. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Sorry for this double post but my brain is half asleep. Raven Rock has some awesome fish at a place called the fish traps. Very good trail to it right below the rock. Also a place where the creek runs into the Cape Fear. Only problem you have to walk in about two miles with all your gear. Good side is this is a very beautiful hike and very little fishing pressure. Have been some large cats, blues, flatheads caught right at the traps. Most of the time you can walk out into the middle of the river on very large flat rocks. Worth the trip just to see the park. Check out their website. Try North Carolina State Parks. Good info on Jordan also. I can give you a real short cut to Jordan and Harris from Shady Grove.

12. LostOkie

LostOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I been fish'n the North East CapeFear up by holly shelter the last three weekends been pretty skunked myself. We'v try'd everything from chicken liver to blue gill to eel, to shrimp, to squid and ain't got nuth'n but more eel, bowfin, and 1 nice flathead. im bout to loose my mind. we'v went from pole fish'n to jugs, trout lines,and limb lines. before we just fished the channels off the main body but we finally started run'n lines in the main body an started hav'n luck.

13. LostOkie

LostOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well just returned from the river at least we didn't get completly skunked we ended up with 4 flattys between 5-12 pounds, and a blue that went 15 . all off brem. i got a guestion though i ran into an ol timer an he was talk'n bout use'n ivory soap for cats. i ain't never heard bout that what bout yall?

14. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    ive heard people say use soap, never put much truth into it though, kinda like cigerette butts, ive heard that works too. sounds like a littering ticket to me