Gettin cold out on the lakes (WTB generator )

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by J. Percy Priest, Dec 9, 2008.

1. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Well i thought i made this post last weekend in here... but im back on the computer now and i cant find it, i guess i messed up or 4got to hit submit.

Anyways, man is it getting cold, the boats carpet was frozen and all slippery, and the sides of the boat and the gas compartment with the batteries and stuff had tons of ice in it. I was reeling in my fishing line on a baitcaster. And the water on the line was freezing so when i reel it in the ice builds up on the hole the line passes thru then falls off :eek:oooh:.. it was not so bad when the sun was up but once it started going down my toes were stinging cause it was so cold.. this was last sunday, it seems a little warmer now ( i hope ). Is it bad to take the boat into the water when it freezes ( fiberglass boat )? any tips on how to keep ur carpet from freezing and getting slippery.

Also i was wondering where do they sell small generators ( hopefully not real loud ones ). we camp usually when we go catfishing and wake up in the morning and fish some more then go home, because the trolling motor runs out of batteries by the 2nd day. and our spotlights also run out.

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA

We do the same thing and have similar issues. I have no solution for the carpet other than being careful until things thaw a bit. I have three large batteries on my boat which lasted 7 days with only a 50% discharge.

Walmart sells some nice heaters that attach to propane tanks. They crank out the heat and are relatively quiet. A nice way to start the morning or end a night. Way to get out there and brave the elements!

3. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    The propane heater sounds like thats the way to go.
    I have been experiencing the same issues. After dark it does gets cold, but that is when everybody else goes in and night is when Ive caught my best fish. I usually go out with enough daylight to catch skips or bream and then the hunt is on. Summer or winter. I pack hand and footwarmers and lots of layers of clothes. Ive had to start wearing goggles because the water in my eyes freeze and when cruising across the water. Fog is everywhere too. Keep up the good work it will pay off.

4. J. Percy Priest

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Thanks i will check into one of those propane heaters, thats what we do also. We go out with some light, set up camp, use the cast net for some bait. and then set out tons of noodles. Usually catch them right when the sun is going down, then right when the sun is coming up.

5. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    I got to say I admire you guys for being so hardcore for catfish.I dont think there is anything I want to catch more out of Priest to camp over night out there this time of year.Just call me a whimp.:cool2: I would like to do it in the summer but to more the less party all night on the water and run jugs and be able to check them during the night.We got a two burner one that mounts on a big propane tank for our duckblind we use and it works great.In the summer time you can pick them up at yard sales for around 10-20 bucks.:wink:

6. J. Percy Priest

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Yea we camped a lot during the summer, almost every weekend we went fishing. Past the bridge and that cave at jefferson springs you keep following the rock wall until you see a clearing there is a stump spraypainted also marking the spot. and from there there is 4 wheeler trails that take you to the roads and some people even have trails from their backyards. if you follow the left most trail it will take you to a another campsite on the water. The other one we found is after the coves on the left of jeff. springs boat ramp before the water intake pump building it has more fire wood but lots of bottles on the ground back in the woods. but it is more out of sight. Right now you cant camp on them very easy since the water level is down so far..