Get'em while you can

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wasn't going yesterday but when 4:30 rolled around, I walked outside. Sun shining, north wind wasn't to bad. Ten minutes later I was hitched up and heading downtown. When I crossed the river on I 95 bridge, I only saw a handful of boats,(not a good sign:eek:oooh:). When I got to the ramp, I saw a guy loading up. When asked , he told me he just finished the best day shad fishing in his life. He had caught a couple hundred on what ever color dart or spoon. didn't matter.(Good Sign:big_smile:)

Got to my spot near the I 95 bridge and it was non stop shad and white perch catching until pitch black dark. I put out 3 small eater cat rods and 4 big cat/striper rods at 6:30. Caught non stop cats 1-8 pounds until I left at 10:00 PM. Only one big cat but what a pig. 40 pounds on the nose and 42 inches long. Did not get any stripers today but did see a few breaking water. Not quite time yet. another 4-5 days and it will go nuts!!!!!!(I hope).

Anyway, that was my Monday trip. I am going again this afternoon if I get my work done. the 27th will be here anyday and I won't be fishing for 2 months so got to do it now.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great day on the water!Congrats. and thanks for sharing

3. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    What a great day that sounds like you had. It is so much better when you have a multi-species day. What were the shad and white perch hitting on? What color is hot?

thanks for sharing...see you next monday

dave

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught shad on yellow jigs, pink and orange flies, gold spoons, silver spoons. White perch were snapping on silver spoons. If you reeled in slow, the white perch tore it up, a little faster and the shad pounced on the baits. Sabikis caught everything swimming by. It was red hot smoking, color didn't matter.:smile2:

5. kramdua

kramdua New Member

State:
    va.
    good job, my day is coming soon!!!!!!!!!

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sounds like a good day and alot of bait fish

7. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Feeling like I'm gonna be sick Friday. Sorry Boss I cant make it in Friday.

I will be there bright and early Friday morn.

Thanks for the report.:big_smile:

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks for the report, I enjoy reading your posts paraguay guy, I kinda envy you james river regulars, i catch the fool out of eaters at the Martinsville resevoir, which is fun. I hope you kept some of those perch to freeze. Shoot I would have enjoyed just fishing for them. Channel bite is on here in martinsville, the fish must be feeding well all over the state. I still fish during the day this time of year, but reading that post makes me want to take off tonight, which i just might do. Anyway thanks again for the report. Hope to see some pics of those big ole james river blue, and stripers for that matter.

Wheelmobile07

9. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Glad you posted this I have been planning on fishing this Friday and Saturday and that report just sets it in concrete! I will be there This weekend, maybe I will see some of you guys out there on the river! I am READY to go catching!

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Good luck Jeff. What boat do you drive? I am trying to free up some things so I can go fishing.

11. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Thanks Kennith, can't wait to try it out. Got t o love a multi species day.:big_smile:

12. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I drive a 17 foot Tracker John Boat with a 25HP Merc on it, nothing special but gets the job done! I hope to be there kind of early Friday and then again on Saturday.