Get Your Kids Fishing Young!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have very good memories of my father and uncle taking me fishing, on Dillon Lake in my uncles speed boat at a very young age. I even remebered being tossed overboard in a life jacket to be told to swim back.. That may be alittle extreme nowdays and, safety is the first thing considered, but I personally don't think you can start kids in the outdoors including fishing too young. As they learn and develop, they seem to want to take the same steps as their parents or involve themselves in the activities that become normal to them. My daughter is now 2 and a half, and will throw an absolute fit if she knows I am going fishing, or coming home to fillet fish. She wants to stay outside as I fillet panfish to play with them. And asks almost everyday to go in daddy's boat. Yes, all of us that are parents know how funny it is to hear them, and watch there actions as they grow. But, I really think at a young age is where you can teach them an interest for their lifetime! I may be wrong, she is my first, but I know how I was raised and my friends . The friends I have that I fish and hunt with have a background the same as I did to influence them. So next time you are gonna go fishing, even if it is for some bait or a boat ride, remember the little ones you may be leaving behind. You can't take back time later that you wish you would have spent sooner.. Please share your experiences and pictures here as well.. goodluck..... rollo

Here is a few pictures of Jacie, and her fish tank and Dora fishing pole.. lol

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Couple more pictures...rollo

Attached Files:

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Here is my daughter shelby with some of mine and her fish!

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Heres another one. Big largemouth from a few years ago. Kinda rough but it shows she aint afraid of gettin some slime on here hands! LOL!

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Agreed.... and as often as you can...we plan ahead of time, my boys love planning a trip... hmmm wonder where they get that from, anyway we enjoy boating, fishing and camping togather, we have a blast ...love every minute of it:wink:

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    we also love hunting night crawlers:smile2:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Paul, I can't wait till she is old enough to go out at night, crawler hunting! That is a good time, even for an adult! It almost gets competitive!:smile2:.............. rollo vs crawler

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I take my daughter with me to get bait all the time. Last year she asked me to go for the cats so I took her. She has a PB Flat of #11, and a PB Channel of #7. I can't wait till she gets a little bigger and can bring in bigger fish.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    When my boys were small We fished a lot together. One year we had their birthday party on the lake .Started them fishing when the were 2 or 3yrs. old. They are both grown now and I'm looking forward to starting my grand kids fishing this summer. The oldest grand son will be 3 in August.
    A bit of advice: Enjoy them while they are young. It wont be very long till they are grown up. Then you will be looking forward to the grand kids also.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :wink: Can't wait for the son !!! Couple more months and momma will be ripe!:smile2: rollo

Attached Files:

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have two boys there is 16 months difference in their age and it was a blast taking them fishing when they were young. They enjoyed catching bait as well as big ones.

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I know ive told this story...the boys have RC boats, when we go crappie fishin we hook bobbers to them and dift them over tree tops and beaver huts its cool stuff:wink: steering them boats back to the boat with a big crappie on :wink:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    This would be my number one fishing partner, this spring we are already signed up for 2 of the local mid-week bass tourneys :wink: Plus the State just started the IHSA school fishing program, so by the time she is a freshman them fellerz better look out! :smile2: In the beginning......

Attached Files:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    As time goes by, and getting better at this thing.

Attached Files:

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    OK I'll stop now, cause this could last 1/2 the night, LOL!

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    OK I'll stop now, cause this could last 1/2 the night, LOL! :wink:

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree, the younger you get them started the better. My Dad used to heat my bottles up on the exhaust manifold of the pickup.:smile2:
    He passed away almost 3 years ago and I am more grateful than ever that he showed me the outdoors and taught me how to fish.
    He wasnt your average fisherman, he was hard core. Well known around here for being one of the best catfisherman.
    I am tryin to follow in his footsteps but my shoes aint big enough.
    I have an album dedicated to him in my profile. In that album there are pictures of me growin up fishin.
    I have been goin fishin since before I could walk and thats no lie.
    Get them kids out there and out there often. Keeps them outta trouble.:wink:

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive also told this story but the night of shelbys first cat was a special one. We headed out to alum creek around sun down and set up in a small cove, me shelby and val. We casted the poles out and got everything ready. The first 20 mins. or so me and shelby looked for shells on the bank she likes alot of collections. lOL! Then we sat in front of our poles and i told her she had to watch her line to see if any fish hit it. About every 10 mins. she reeled in and rebaited. LOL! She does this herself, grabbed a little shiner and pinches the head and tail off and hooks it up. Then right to the trail mix without even wipin her hands off. Thats my girl!!:wink: Val is discusted by this and says shes just like me. About 15 to 20 mins later i see her line start going out. I tell her i think she has a hit she picks her pole up and yanks and starts reeling, She looks at me with huge eyes and says Dad I gotta Monster. I almost peeded myself laughing she finally gets it in and its a fat little Bullhead. Ive never seen her so proud. Im trying to hold back the tears as I take pictures. It was a great night and hope to have many more of them! Now she says she wants to catch a flathead.:smile2: I think shes hooked!

19. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Jason, I totally agree with ya in getting kids involved when they are young. Got a couple grandkids in training now. (Corey and Dylan) From fishing to chasin' wild women. (Pics of Wild Women) excluded...

Attached Files:

20. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    DON'T FORGET THE PET DOG!
    I take along our stuffed cat Bluesey!:smile2: