Get The Lead Out!-Lets Talk Sinker Rigs!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 21, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lets hear who perfers what in this & that condition.
    Who uses sinker slides? I started using them last year & for the most part I really like them. I think it's great to be able to add or take off weight w/ out redoing your whole rig. To me sinker type isnt as important as it is to some people. I guess my favorite is "no roll" sinkers, but I will use anything!

Last year while making some no rolls I broke my last core pin. I tried thinking of other items to use & came up w/ a cotter pin. I now rarely use the no rolls w/ out the cotter pin. This way allows me to use my no roll sinkers w/ my sinker slides. I have never heard of anyone doing this before. What I do is spread the cotter pin a little, then put it in the hole that the core pin would fit into.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Example of some of the sinkers that I make. Reg style vs on a sinker slide. (as expected pyramid sinkers work well on the sinker slides too) Notice the sinker slide w/ 3 no rolls (1 4oz & 2 3 oz), this is the easiest way to throw 10 oz of lead when you dont have one single 10 oz sinker!

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is the example of how I use the cotter pins in my no roll mold.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ahh.... and finally the soon to be world famous "Mellon Rig". This can be found on roughly 1/2 of my rods:

4 oz no roll cotter pin
    Sinker slide
    Swivel
    Bead
    Gamo 8/0 Octopus Circle Hook
    20 # Red Caujun Line

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man thats a pretty slick idea with the cotter pins, might have to make some.

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Mellon,

Where do you get those slides from?Went to order some from CC,i think they are out!
    Ernie

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have the same slides. Got 100 of them on ebay for about $6.00. :D

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, I bought mine from EBay. They are a very cheap plastic, but they seem to work well. This year I am thinking of buying some of the better ones.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is one of the few things Bryan and I differ on..I just dont see the need in them..But maybe if I tried them I would like them :D And whats the deal with the cotter pins in the no rolls? Would not a bank sinker serve the same purpose?

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bank sinkers are very thick at the hole. Small ones will work, like 2-3 oz, buts its almost impossible to fit a 5 oz on one. PLUS..... you still get the advatage of the "no roll" or at least the decrease in the amount of rolling or movment that the no rolls provide versus the bank sinkers.

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I just use an flat bank sinker with a loop of line to a swivel with a clip above the main swivel. The loop line is a lower poundage than the main line, so if it snags up I just give a pull and the loop line breaks and saves the rig.

12. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Those sinker slides are a standard fish finder rig that lots of people use in saltwater. You should be able to get them from BassPro or Cabelas online, or any other tackle shop online. I looked at Catfish Connection and couldn't find them either. ;)

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I lost the pull pins for my egg sinker mold years and years ago, and found that I could use a nail. Just make sure that you use very smooth nails with no bumps, or use some emory cloth to smooth them down before pouring lead around them.

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I mainly use bank sinkers in the 3 and 4 oz size for fast current, but have also started using no role sinkers in the same size.

15. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Great idea on the no rolls H2O.I'm gonna have to pour some up.Thanks! :cool:

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey H20,

"That it"! :thumbsup:

"That's the no-roll sinker that I was looking for"!

One that I can rig-up and change without re-rigging my whole set-up!

But I have one problem, I don't make my own sinkers, but I will be glad to pay you to make some for me, is that possible? :confused:

Bert :cool:

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you lost your pull out pins find a thick coathanger. cut it and shape it as needed. works for me.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The coat hangers I had were too thick.

Bert..... Sure how many do you want? The shipping would be about the same for 2#'s or 10#'s becasue it's usually besty to send them flat rate mail. Oh yea... what sizes? I could mix 3, 4, 5's. It might not be late winter. (My wife has laid the law down, no more sinker making when the kids are here. She thinks I'm going to give us all lead poison)

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a31:
    Hey H20,

It's no Problem Buddy, I'm in no hurry, I'm gearing up for next season anyway. I'm just happy that you will do it for me. :D

Just PM me and let me know what I have to do - (address , Size of sinkers(#2 & #3) , $Money$ - ect.)

Thanks,
    Bert :cool:

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Make any 12 to 16 ouncers???? :confused: I'm always looking for more sinkers. :D