Get Live Shad at bait stores?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by vince, Jan 7, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey guys I've never caught a blue and will be making some plans on heading down south to try my luck. Do the bait stores sale live shad?
    I,m Thinking of hitting the Missouri area.

Thanks Vince..

Any other advice would be appreciated!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Shad are nearly impossible to keep alive in captivity for any amount of time. I've never seen a bait shop that sells them.

Invest in a good cast net and learn how to throw it and you can get all the shad you'll ever need.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    He's right a cast net and a little experience on where to get them and you will have all the free bait you want. I haven'y boght bait at the store for years.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree. Catch your own.

5. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    good luck buying them your best bet is to get with someone on here to help find some...

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    it is actually illegal to sell them. because they are considered a nuisance. this is done so they don't end up in all the lakes and streams that don't already have them.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    cast nets are the way to go , but im sure if you dont have one you could make arrangements with someone on here when and where you will be and get fresh shad if you dont have a cast net , iv seen very few on here that wouldnt help a brother out .

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i wish they did but they dont round here they say its to hard to keep em from dyin cause of all the ammonia they release.most lakes round here your not allowed to even fish with live shad.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you make it to Missouri, gimme a holla, I'll help you find shad and a good fishin' hole. I live smack in the middle of the state, so all the good fishing is within a short driving distance. Nobody sells shad, but that's a blessing because it's all free.

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    A lot of the water that you will fine blues you will also find shad. I normally get mine in the lakes around here be for I hit the river. lots of us would gladly take you and show you how we get our shad. Before you head this way just give us a holler and I bet where ever in the state you decide to go someone will help you out.

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well theres some baitshop, they put shad in frozen so someplaces are illegal to sell the shad. well use cast or gill net into lake or river and wait for 10 to 30min then pull it. so you will get many of shad on cast or gill net. Shad is very easy to die so if you hook it so shad won't live as much. they use cutbait shad, blue catfish still going hitting on it.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well its not where you are going but since nobody else has a post about buying live shad i figured i would. santee in s.c. has lots of bait stores around the lakes and they sell live shad and blueback herring. the prices there run from 6-8 bucks a dozen. this may be a seasonal thing for some of them because i only fish there in the summer months. they have big tanks that will hold up to 200 dozen at a time alive and most of the bait comes from other lakes instead of santee although there is plenty of bait in santee. the best blues fishing i ever done too. so if you ever make it to the south east wet a hook in santee. you wont regret it.

13. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    its illegal to sell thim in missouri

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think no bait shop around here sells live shad.

15. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i fish the missouri river in nebraska and most people including me seem to have better luck using carp instead of shad

16. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i was at santee cooper late oct. and all the baitshops and fish camps sold live shad and herring 7 bucks a doz. alot cheaper to use cast net

17. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've seen them sell frozen shad sides, in jars. But, it's still nothin' like the fresh stuff. I'd probably buy a jar of it, for times you can't catch bait. Beggers can't be choosers ya know... Good luck on the fishin' trip.

-Red

18. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Iam also a new member, I live in Missouri, the best way is to catch them in a throw net. Alot of guys from Missouri freeze the ones they doint use, cut them up if they are big enough and use them as cut bait.
    Good Luck Paul Lawrence (Olddriller)

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think its time for u to get a castnet and learn how to use it. And u can catch as many shad as u wont.

20. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I went down to Lake Gaston on the border of NC and VA this past weekend and there are three shops down there that sell live shad. It was $8 a dozen live, or $4 a dozen dead (scooped from the bottom of the tank). If selling them is illegal in your state, you probably won't find any, but if not, I guarantee there are shops that sell them, you just gotta find them.