Get a life or Hey wait, maybe...............

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Apr 9, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Strange what these and this can do to that which is our life.

Confused yet?

These = folks like you

This = Places like this forum.

Our life = whatever we as individuals are.

In 1982 I was one of the first Veterinary practices on the North Shore of Chicago to computerize my practice. Remember DOS? Helped a programmer write the software to get it up and running. A lot of smoke through the tailpipe since. I am not into computers anymore, I am older and dumber and they keep getting smarter than my 'Ol brain can keep up with.

However I am into the Internet in my own way as many of us are. Was thinking this morning if it is a complete waste of time, another addiction like Coke or Meth or Booze or Women or Fishing. Came to the conclusion that is was not. I have my own world on the internet. My News Blogs and those people who match my political philosophy, my pond management forums, my medical stuff, my Hearts Games, and this forum.

Joined this joint 2 years ago and it saved my mental health for some personal reasons. Fog in my brain is gone now and the place is still here. This place and the others I enjoy. This is not a BOC testimonial. I don't do testimonials. I carry my own diddy bag and don't beat others peoples drums. That is their job. I see many references to addiction and time wasted and "Get a Life" besides this on posted threads. I think it is a life unto it's own and I would argue with folks who say it isn't, maybe it is a new way of calling something that is life

Like TV used to be for me and when I watched it I had some shows I enjoyed. What are your preferences on the Internet and your time spent? (staying legal here in the Forums rules and the dungeon's flogging room.) I don't care about computers anymore but I do care when I kick the "ether" up everyday.

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    There are many studies showing that learning and using internet helps with avoiding the fogginess that often sets in after retirement. It's instant response and social interaction. It can be abused just like anything else but in moderation it can actually sharpen your brain. Not to mention get you really fired up about fishing!

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Chris it helped cure my depression. Blown back, loss of Mother, disability, sale of homestead, loss of a brother's love, sale of a business, retirement.

It was not quite pills, Thank God, just a way to see how other people can cope and interact.

Woke me up, now if I can just understand how those 1's and 0's can make me money.

John.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    binary code is amazing. it allows us to have "family" style relationships with people we have never, and probably will never meet. it helps us be amused, it cures some of what ails us. (not all mind ya). and it generally helps us evolve one step closer to intellectuals, and one step further from independance. to every advantage, there is most likely an equal or greater disadvantage in one fashion or another.

for now we can focus on the positives, and disreguard the negatives.

nice testimonial uncle pb.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Your not the only one postbeetle. I've been hard at that question myself lol.