German Streams and ponds

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by zmany2k, May 10, 2008.

1. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Finally the water temperature is getting up to where something besides trout and pike are willing to bite. I haven't caught a wels or a bullhead cat yet, but there's plenty of time left to search for them. I have been catching quite a few carp though. So long trout, see you later pike. I'm absolutely in love with buffalo carp. They look inbred as no two fish have scales in the same spot (i'll upload a pic asap), but they get really big. Big ol' potbellied carp with plenty of attitude. So far, i've caught about 5 of them ranging from 1 pound, to 10 pounds. One of my troops caught one that was 25lbs. I'm figuring out where they like to live and hang out as well. This upcoming weekend I'll be making an all day trip out to the lake. I'll have cut bait in deep water for wels, and doughball in shallows with cover for carp. So far the action's been pretty hot. I'll post up some photos soon so you all can see what I'm talking about.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the report Zac! Good luck in your pursuit of them big Carp and the mighty Wels Cat! :big_smile: I hope you post us some future pics of your catches! :cool2:

3. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    here's the only pic i have on the computer so far. this was a lunch break fish. weighed a almost 10lbs. you can't tell very well, but the carp over here a really solid. I've got another picture of one that's ony 8 inches long that weighed over a pound.

that 8 inch carp was also the smallest carp i've ever caught. i always thought carp came out of the egg weighing at least 5lbs.:smile2:

Attached Files:

4. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Not sure how everyone else feels about it. Not even sure if i should be posting this here, in another section, but this seemed to fit the best. Fishing for me takes me to that "happy place" where if i had some of tinkerbell's dust, i would surely fly. I can think of nothing i would rather do. I love the feeling of a large catfish or a carp pulling with all thier considerable might to stay away from me. i am in ecstasy of the sound of my drag clicking off the feet as that fish overpowers my line. I am overcome with emotion when i pit my will against that of a another creature who is fighting with every last bit of it's survival instinct. And finally, when i gently net the creature and ever so softly lay it on the bank, i'm in awe of it's presence. I am thankful that this creature took my bait and gave me the thrill of catching it. I look at the lines of it's body, and try to soothe it so that it doesn't get too scared if at all possible. ever so carefully i'll remove the hook and hold up this creature as if it's a newborn baby and stand in awe of the new gift i have recieved. then, i'll lower the fish back into the water and hold onto it gently to make sure it gets it's energy and let it swim away when it's ready.

from that moment on, i'm on cloud nine. everything is peachy and the world is my oyster. any problem i may have been fretting is momentarily negligable. for about 20 minutes to an hour, i'll be in the afterglow of that fight.

fishing is the greatest lesson i was ever taught when i was younger. I think i've taken it to a level that was never imagined by my father, but i know he's not dissappointed in me for it. I try very hard to teach fishing to those who have never been. I want everyone to know the feeling of that battle of wills.

alrighty then. I guess i'm done trying to wax poetic for the moment. I hope most of you fish for the same reason that i do.

5. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Zach I could not of said it better. Good luck with them carp. I never fished around Graf, I was in Fulda in the late 70's, did a little fishing there and in the 90'S did a lot of fishing in the Heidelberg area. I did not fish for carp though I did a lot of flyfishing. I even fished Austria, what an experience to have I will never forget those days there. Thanks for your service

6. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I really can't wait until my first really big fish out here. so far, the biggest carp i've pulled out is about 10lbs. one of my troops got one that was about 25lbs out of a creek on post here. Hopefully next weekend I might even be able to get a catfish. there's only a handful of ponds/lakes out here that could support catfish. without a boat, it's pretty hard just to cast out far enough to get to the deeper water. i could get lucky i guess and get one that's cruising the shallows during the day, but i don't relying on luck too much.

the one lake i'm trying to hit up is dupposed to be about 40' in the center. that requires about a 100 yard cast though. I know that lake still has some imported bullhead cats and some wels in it. We're not allowed to night fish, so it's hard to get 'em when they're feeding the heaviest. i've still got about six months though until the season gets too cold.

one way or another, I'm catching a wels cat this year. If i have to pay for a guided tour, then so be it. this is my last year in europe, so it's crunch time.

Attached Files:

7. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know how you fell, when I was stationed in Panama, I had two marlins on line one around 400lbs and one 600+, never landed one. I caught plenty sailfish but not a marlin, did not want to leave until I did, but off to FT Bragg I went. I hope it works out for you good luck.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hows things is good old Graf???Spent a lot of time in Germany over the years.My father was a career soldier and we were stationed in Garmisch and Oberammergau for 4 years back in the late 50s.Then I returned during my own career.I fished lots of the rivers and streams in Bavaria as a kid and even learned to flyfish over there.If you ever get down there just look around and you will see what I mean.Trout every where.My dad was president of the rod & gun club and they leased a small lake from the Germans.We stocked it with Rainbows and Browns and just about every weekend I was there fishing.Funny thing is the lake had carp in it and every time we caught one we threw it up on the bank.Well the Germans would come running and grab the carp to take home and eat.They would throw the rainbows out or back in and much prefered the carp to eat.I have eaten many carp over there and they were delicious.Most restuarants down in Bavaria had carp on the menu.I do miss Germany and have contemplated hopping a flight over for a vacation.I learned to ski down there also and yes I fish for the same reason you do.It is my release from the ordinary everyday struggle of life.WHen I am behind a rod and reel the rest of the world doesnt exist and cant bother me.Enjoy your tour.

9. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    yes jim, trout are all but a nuisance fish for me. It's too the point that i've actually had my pass suspended once over those little guys. If you want to catch one, and you know how to present the right type of lure in the right way, you can't keep 'em of your hook with a stick. I've tried to show people how I do it to quell the jealousy, but nobody seems to get it yet. Anyways, I was fishing with a game warden by happenstance and he got all angry when he watched me catch trout after trout after trout when he was actually going for trout and never got so much as a bite. he made a false report about me to the head hunting/fishing guy, and i got suspended for a week over jealousy.

it was during that week that one of my troopers caught the large carp pictured above.

i've hammered things out with the head warden now. It's actually looking like they're going to replace the warden who reported me...with me!:big_smile: might get to be a warden. that'll be different. i'll get to wrangle poachers on the weekends.:angry:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT sequence of posts, Zac!
    Bill in SC

11. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the posts and the pictures. Mirror carp are probably the most beautiful fish in fresh water. Good luck on Wels cats, and any other for that matter. Keep up the post and the pictures.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice Carp!

13. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Thanks a lot folks

Danke Schun und petri heil herr Andrew.

I'm glad that I have finally left Germany and have come home to serve stateside, but I do most definitely miss my time on the water in Germany.

I grew a new appreciation for all that fishing is and represents to me. For me, it's almost a religion. I see fish as precious creatures to be revered and respected. Everyone of them is beautiful in it's own way if you look at them hard enough. Each species has character traits that individualize them.

Take perch for example. As one of the smallest members of the pickerell family, they have no idea that they aren't as big as some of thier cousins like pike and walleye. Hence the reason if you look through the pictures on my profile, you'll see a kinda blurry picture of a four inch perch that i caught on a three inch rooster tail. Each pickerell is unique, but they are probably the most ferocious species of fish in fresh water next to pirahnna.

Trout...trout are almost like paintings that swim. I hated it everytime that i was forced by law to kill one. Hence the reason I broke the catch and release law in Germany as often as possible (whenever no one was looking). Trout aren't pretty. Pretty is not a strong enough word to describe a fish like a trout. especially browns and (my all time favorite) brookies. I would wade for miles upstream to find those brookies. whenever i caught one i would take hold of it with wet hands, take the hook out and then hold onto it under water for a bit and let it breathe and rest. The whole time just lost in marvel of it's beauty.

Finally I got the pleasure of meeting mirror carp. What a beast! These fish fought harder than any other fish I'd ever encountered. I'm fairly well versed with common carp from the states, but this breed was a wholly new animal to me. It didn't fight halfheartedly like a common carp. It fought with the tenacity of a blue gill, and the strength of a flathead twice it's size. It was nothing for a 10lb mirror carp to snap 30lb test mono. my longest fight with any fish to this day was me vs. a 25lb mirror carp.

Ah... reflection. I'll be back there someday. I'll visit my friends again. That's what they are to me now. Friends.:003:

14. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    i said "thank you and good fishing" a more proper way for me to have said that would've been to cut it to "petri danke."