German shorthaired pointer

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by bigcatman, Apr 14, 2007.

1. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    i wont to train to hunt birds and how hard would it be to train him. and he is a little gun shy what would be the best way to get him over that

2. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Man thats tough one. Gun shyness can be hard to break. I would take a metall food pan and kick it around and make alot of noise while your playing with him. Shoot a blank pistol while your walking out to feed him and as he gets more comfortable shoot as you get closer but take your time. As far as starting him on birds get you a good video or someone to help that knows. You can but some tame quail and set them out and lead him to them and make him stand when he catches the scent. It takes alot of time but it's very rewarding.

3. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    thanks for the info i might just need to try that out becuase him being gun shy might hurt me when it comes to phesant hunting

4. FishenRedneck

FishenRedneck New Member

State:
    texas
    well i have a german short hair pointer and ive tried to train him but i think he is stupied:sad2:

5. Catman92

Catman92 New Member

State:
    New York
    Our German shorthair has never been gun-shy but she is one of the worst grouse dog i have ever seen. When we are hunting i do a better job at finding and kicking out the birds than she does.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i run a gsp. never had a problem with the gun shyness, but you might try letting your dog play with and fetch a bird wing. throw it out and shoot. if that dog's head is really in the game, it might learn to see past the noise to get the wing. also, if you have a bird species that is open year round, hunt the heck out of it in the off season. we use our dogs on collared doves through the summer to keep them in shape.
    if you don't have a game bird open all the time, use pigeons. most dogs go nuts over them. live trap them, and plant them or just have a friend release them and shoot them. might work for your dog. good luck!

7. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you keep your bird dog in a kennel with concrete floor and if you can confine your dog in an area a with concrete floor...it's best to do it when they are real young, but tie a metal trash can lid to a rope by its handle and tie it where it hangs where the dog has to walk by it all the time....hang it where the lid is 2-3 inches off of the ground..from the ceiling or from top of kennel....works better where two dogs can play around it...as they play or as the single dog walk around this lid ...it will be bumped and go bang, bang, bang all the time...then shoot a 22 pistol while they or it is feeding...I start out with 22 cb caps and work your way up to 22long rifle....then 410 and on up to 12 ga.......then in controled area...fenced in ...with a long rope tied to the dog so he can't run away make him sit while others shoot...starting out 22cb caps and work on up...if he runs pull him back and give command to sit and stay and do it again....its hard to break bad habits....I got a GSP about 6 months old...and a setter alittle over 1yr. old....Jimmy /bowfoot

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    IMO, the best way to work with a dog that is gun shy is to get a blank pistol and a tennis ball, frizbee, etc. if the dog has a pulse, when you throw the ball it will be completely focused on getting the ball. when the dog gets about 30 yards out or so, fire the pistol. the dog will barely even notice it. keep doing the same thing but shoot when the dog is closer to you. after you can shoot within 5 yards or so switch tactics a little. your still gunna start out about 30 or 40 yards away but now either tie the dog up or have someone hold the dog on a leash if it wont "stay" by itself. at this point the dog has heard the pistol from 30 yards up to 5 yards but it was concentrating on the ball. now just do the same thing with the dog concentrating on you.