German food, German beer

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Mark J! I went somewhere I think you will appreciate. L'il bitty place in a strip mall, but was featured on a local TV program called "Carolina Camera" or somethin'. You have to have reservations now, but anyhow......they had a bunch of different German beers (17, and 2 Belgian ones). I had the beer of the month; she said it was "a light, but strong beer". It's called Spaten Bock, was on tap. Yep, light at first, but the aftertaste was too skunky imo.

The food was good, nothing spectacular. I had the Jager Schnitzel; the noodles didn't impress me - the meat/gravy made me believe that the way I was taught to cook/my tastes reaffirm my German heritage.

Quaint little place, and seems to be very popular. They have a stuffed rooster, :smile2:.

Here's a link to their website if y'all wanna check out the beer selection and/or menu.

http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    As much as i enjoy a cold bud-lite, i can't drink dark beer at all. The skunk taste,,,taste awful to me.:eek:oooh:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, the one I had wasn't dark whatsoever.....as for the other part.....:eek:oooh:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    He carries two really good beers.
    THe Spaten Optimator and Celebrator.
    Both are expensive beers.
    The Celebrator goes for around 10 bucks a 4 pack but worth every penny if you a real beer lover.

Both of those beers aren't your typical beer. They are high gravity beers.
    In laymen's terms, drink a couple and get up to go pee, you'll probally have a do over on the gettin up part.:wink:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When you start getting into German beer you start getting into beer made by breweries that have been in the beer making business for centuries.
    Not uncommon to see some dated 1400 and older.

They have it figured out. Thats for sure.

Hey, I like a good Hefe too!

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    The menu really looks great, wish we had a place like that around here...I may need to make a trip to NC sometime. I love German food.

7. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Reading this thread sure is making my tuna fish sandwich seem not so filling now. And this ice water......:smile2:

8. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile:Germans have beer for different times of the year as a third generation one i have seen alot of changes in the way americans have learned to drink there beer.With summer coming try a wheat weisen this is a clean start and crisp finish beer best served cold 34 degrees Andecker spaten is a little bit dry and more hops are added so you would get that (Skunkey) flavor LOL.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I ain't much of a beer drinker,but When I do give me a dark bitter beer.

Savannah,Georgia has some great ethnic food and drink at their many festivals.

The Saint Patric Day celebration is often called "The Great Savannah Drunk Out".Public drinking and drunkenness is ignored by law enforcement and encouraged by the commercial interests during this time.

For those interested in excitement,Savannah has offered robbery,assault and even murder to it's visitors.It is all readily available along with prostitution and drugs.Every business including the Hospitals and Funeral homes are readily available and will happily serve you for a fee.The towing companies will tow your vehicle at every opportunity,legal and illegal.Either way it will cost you a fortune to retrieve it.You will not retrieve any of the missing valuables or parts such as radios,tires or titanium catalytic converters that disappear while in their possession.

For a entertaining and possibly very exciting experience,give it a try.

What other city has had Montel Williams walk up to a Juvenile female high school reporter and threaten to "look you up,find where you live and blow you up" with no arrest,yet arrest and try a man for "soliciting" for telling the under cover cop No,you are too ugly-?The judge made the police department come up with the "Lost tape" that cleared the man.He had been approached by the officer while eating breakfast in a public facility.Justace as can only be found in Savannah!

Now my post is based on the many years of living in the area and other folk talking of their experience in the city.The visit can be enjoyable or tragic.You will never know till afterward,and only then if you survive it!Just knowing what all has happened to other visitors should make it exciting.Come on down.The food and drink is great and the experience can really be a "end of a lifetime" experience!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee