Georgia hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by lugnutz, Jul 10, 2009.

1. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Looking for some input on trapping hogs. Best time of year, bait, termination methods etc.

2. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. Hogs can't take too much heat, they don't sweat so... trapping them in the summer can be tricky. Traps set in shady areas around water will work in the heat IF they are checked daily. Just about every hardware store in the area I live has hog traps for sale but some trappers make large enclosures out of cattle pannels and target multiple hogs.
    Are you trapping hogs for eating or to remove them from property because of the damage they do? lc

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I found this one up on the southern side of Tray mountain!

Attached Files:

4. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Hi luke, sorry I havent gotten back to you on this but I was going to trap them for food purposes. The only people that i found in this area to process them say I have to bring them in alive, then they will keep them penned for about a week for observation then process them. Thanks for the advice on trapping them, that is what I have been reading that they stress very easily in the heat even though i would check the trap daily. I have decided to wait till the weather turns cooler before trapping. I have a trap located which is a guilatine trap and I have several place to put one on 120 acres where i hunt and i have good sign there also, now I just need to find a trailer or figure out a way to transport it to the processor.

5. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Hey Ed thats looks like a nice fat hog. Looks like a pot belly breed somebody may have turned loose. they are good to eat also. My brother has a cabin up there north of demorest kinda near clarkville/Hellen. I am going to get my boat up there to Lake Burton some time this summer, just waiting to take me a 3 day week end. The wife and me stopped in to laprades a few weeks ago and sat on the deck had a beer and watched the sunset and talked about boating there,,,beutifull lake !!

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hey ,

Love fishing burton im real close, less than 10 min, im about 8 miles north of helen on 356, lapardes is a nice place. Yea thats a fattie for a hog!
    Brian

7. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    2 years ago was when I first saw sign of them where I hunt and they had rooted and wallered in a back corner of about a 1 acre pond, made a pretty good hole out there. Last year I had seen more noticable sign of them, some heavy trails with mud rubs and droppings and areas where they bedded. There were 2 bump feeders that I just couldnt keep full, fill em up one day, 2 dys later not a kernal of corn to be found. This year I will have some hog in the freezer.

8. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Hey Ed are those cats on the deck in the avatar from Burton. I bet they taste a lot different than cats from warmer waters. They got some good stripers up there too dont they. Probly bring my boat up soon, in the next couple weeks. coming up this weekend but got some other stuff to do. I might kayak out there if I have some time.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Nay, I caught them in Lake Lanier!

Brian