Georgia Aquarium

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Has anyone been there yet?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Not yet. I just skimmed an article tonight in a new magazine called "Y'all". LOL. Wonder if they have a website yet? I love aquariums. Have you been yet?

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

The best Aquarium I ever went to was the Shed Aquarium in Chicago. WOW!!! Is the only word I can think of.

Ray

4. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    We took an overnighter and went down to Atlanta thursday night. We stopped just outside Atlanta in Smyrna and got a room at the Red Roof Inn for under $50.00. I was surprised to get one that cheap since the ones downtown Atlanta were going for around $200 according to their web sites.

We went to the Aquarium the next morning and it was nice, but not that much better, if any, than the Tennessee Aquarium at Chattanooga. I really think I prefer the Tn. Aquarium. I haven't been to it in a couple of years and they say they have added a lot to it since then.

The main attraction at Atlanta was a huge tank that had two large whale sharks among hundreds of smaller fish. One window in that big tank was about 60 feet wide and 30 feet tall. They said the acrylic "glass" was about 2 feet thick. We had seen everything within 45 minutes of being there. We got there when it opened at 9:00am and there wasn't that many people there. By 9:30, there were hundreds of kids there and it was getting kind of crowded. I counted 15 school buses outside when we left. Attached is a photo of the big tank and a whale shark. The people standing at the bottom of the window will give you an idea of just how big it was.

My recommendation: If you're going to be in the area, definately go for a visit. Get your reserved tickets online and go during a weekday. Preferably at 9:00 am. If you're going to have to go through Chattanooga to get there, then just go to the Tn. Aquarium instead and save some gas and time.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      23.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for that informative post, Mark. I was afraid that would be the case.
    I love the TN aquarium. When they opened the aquarium in Gatlinburg, the advertising made it sound so good, that we went and were sorely disappointed. They have a spot where you get to walk under the fish in a see thru tunnel. That was about the highlight of the aquarium there.

If you are ever in Cleveland, Ohio, take a tour of the city on one of the charter boats and visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My son was 24 and wanted to visit the R&R Hall of Fame. I didn't think I would enjoy it but it was interesting. I really enjoyed the boat ride. Since we were there for medical reasons, we didn't get to tour much of the city, and I would love to go back someday to delve into more in the city.

6. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    We went to the aquarium in Gatlinburg last year. A friend who had just got back said it was much better than Chattanooga, so we checked it out. We were disapointed too. Atlanta has the tunnel and the moving walkway like Gatlinburg.

7. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I havent been but have heard its not all that much better than the little aquarium we have in myrtle beach. Not to mention its in atlanta and I dont like atlanta. There are 5 peachtree streets lol. Went for new years and parking was 15 dollars no matter how long you park. No other options as they have like no public parking. And my hotel room was 215 a night grumpy so you did good. I also had to pay 15 dollars to park at my own hotel!!