George-you man about town-question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George, you have been putting up some nice pictures of your fishing adventures. I used to have a client who's hobby was wildlife photography. He liked my place because it has the resources he was looking for, esp. turkey and deer. He showed me his stuff and it was wonderful. That was 6-7 years ago and he is now dead with lung cancer. I didn't have the time or inclination to pay attention to what equipment he used.

I write the stories I do and I have no way to verify them for folks. I see the things I write about on a daily basis. When in Chicago we used to photograph a lot of cases or surgeries with a fairly sophisticated camera, but that was 24 years ago.

I don't like to shop or compare, typical guy thing. If it fits, wear it. My question to you. I asked you what camera you had and you said CMX or CXI or Skeeterquizzle or something. Is that an expensive camera? Does it do what you want without a lot of technical crap? Can a guy like me with no knowledge of such run the damn thing? Nancy said she would pop for a camera if I didn't take any pictures of her rear end. If I get one I will be able to show you guys pictures of the pies I bake. And if George ignores me, some of you other wizards chime in here.

John.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Kind of depends on how much she is willing to pop for!!!!!:smile2:I would get a digital SLR if you are serious about good photography.Something in the Canon line which is MY favorite but Nikon etc etc all make similiar stuff.You can spend thousands but some of the lower end models have the same processors but without the bells and whistles.For me I would want the biggest preview window possible which I think is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 ".Old eyes dont see as well anymore so bigger is better in cameras and fish finders :big_smile::wink:The digitals have caught up with film as far as picture quality as much as us old film guys hate to admit it.You can still do film and have the photos put on disc for electronic transmission.There I have exhausted all my photo knowledge.If you just want a good digital point and shoot there are plenty of them at reasonable prices.I certainly wouldnt put any camera to the ultimate test of Big Georges' next centerfold spread unless you were doing a proof test of the equipment!!!:big_smile::crazy::wink::smile2:

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    John,

I purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 early last year after a lot of research. I couldn't be more pleased. It is not a pocket-sized camera, although Panasonic makes good Lumix models that are. However, this camera has outstanding color rendering, great lenses, excellent zoom and picture stabilization, and great quality. It also provides all the features of SLR that I like: manual overrides for everything and filter attachment.

Filter attachment is especially useful for outdoor photographs. I never take my camera fishing without a polarizing filter attached. I have attached a photograph that reveals the quality of photography that a good camera like this can produce.

http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/7686-BDABeach.jpg

This camera has all of the features of an expensive digital SLR for a much better price. BTW, the FZ8 is out now.

Good luck shopping!

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Lumix-/model.DMC-FZ8S_11002_7000000000000005702

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ignore ya! LOL! Thats like havein hemmoroids and thinkin ya don't. LOL! Got me the panasonic lumix DMC TZ1. Its a no brainer. Hell, if I can use it anyone can. With the rite card in it it will shoot a 30 minute video. The book that comes with it will blow ya away at first. Theres a ton of features on it that I have yet to master and don't really care. LOL! As far as $$$$ is concerned I don't recall what I dropped on it. All I can say is I'm happy with it. Ya won't be dissapointed. Hey. Ask that big fat dude in the red suit to tighten ya up with one. LOL!

5. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    John: You opened a can of worms on this one, in fact it almost qualifies for high intensity forum. You should realize by now that no male will admit to owning less than the perfect camera or car.
    For what it is worth. If you only intend to take pictures to share on the net then any digital camera with a rating of 3 MP (megapixels) or greater is appropriate. If you want true point and shoot, I personally recommend any of the Kodak Easy Share models. If you are looking for inexpensive again I recommend the Easy Share (WalMart has a 6.1 MP model for less than a hundred dollars).

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hp is my brand. I have a Photosmart M547 6.0 megs
    Very easy to use and under stand. Under $100. at walmart. Remember with digital, all photos can be enhanced in your photo shop. At six megs you can blow up an area and have a whole nutherpic! lol :smile2::big_smile::cool2:

7. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here are the things I would look at John.

Ease of use-If ease of use is the most important, then a point and shoot is definitely the way to go. And Kodak probably leads the way here.

Cost-Point and shoots are considerably less expensive than SLR's

Old eyes-I don't think I have ever taken a picture with my digital through the view finder. A big LCD screen is critical to me. Canon has up to a 3" LCD.

Quality of photos-if you only really want these to put on the web, go with a point and shoot 3-5 MP. If you want really big printable pics (11" X 14" or larger) you want to get into 8 or more MP (IMHumbleO)

Conditions you will be shooting in-Most point and shoots don't allow for the use of filters (Some Fuji's do, like mine). If you are going to take a lot of bright light outside pictures, you want to be able to use filters. Night shots need a long exposure time, if you take a lot of night shots, buy a tripod.

Range you will be shooting-If you are going to be shooting really long range shots, then an SLR is more suited or a slightly higher end point and shoot. I personally discount the digital zoom listed on all cameras. Digital zoom distorts pictures. The highest optical zoom I know of on a point and shoot is 18 times. That will zoom you in a long long ways.

Size of camera-some people only like pocket cameras. These are tiny cameras that are easy to fit into a pocket when not used. Me, I am a big guy with big meaty hands, I have a hard time holding one of them without covering something up.

I use a Fuji E550. It fits well into one hand plus I can zoom, change setting, and take pictures easily one handed. I have added on a 3X optical zoom lens giving me 12X optical zoom total (it is a point and shoot). It costs about $200 plus about $100 in accessories (extra rechargeable batteries, lenses, filters, 2 2 GB XD memory cards). At the highest quality setting (nearly 12 MP although it claims 6.3 MP effective) I can put 400+ pictures on a 2 GB card.

I don't recommend buying through Walmart for cameras and accessories. Try www.newegg.com .
    New Egg has quick turn around, and good prices. Try the Kodak C653 (6.1 MP) for $106 if cost is a concern. If long range shots are likely, I would suggest perhaps the Olympus SP550 (7.1 MP 18X optical zoom) for $421 or the Fuji S8000fd (8 MP with 18X optical zoom) for $339. If you want to go with an SLR Canon Rebels are had to beat and cost aroun $7-800 anywhere with one lens.

8. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Hi John, we have two digital camers, one is a KODAK EASY SHARE and I really like it, even I can take good pictures with that. George has a HP we got from Wallmart and even he can take pictures with that ( if you knew George you would say " Hey if George can take pictures with a HP so can I") All I have to do now is learn how to include them in a post. Have no clue when it comes to that.
    Sharon :confused2:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    John,
    All the above is very good info but truly, seriously, wouldn't you like a nice new hobby?
    I can fit you up with all my darkroom equipment and a beautiful collection of Nikon SLR's and lenses. The flagship of the lot would be my F1 with photomic head and motordrive. All these beautiful things can be yours for only five or ten times what you will pay for one of those newfangled dijitles!!!
    ...W

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, my first camera was a 35 MM Voigtlander, I used it for many years but that was 54 years ago. :eek:oooh: :embarassed:

After digitals came on the market we bought our first Sony in 1998. Since our first we've owned several Sony's, my newest is the Sony DSC-H9. 8.1 M pixels, 15 X optical zoom or 30 X digital zoom, also has a 3 inch tilt out LCD. The large LCD is a must for us old folks. I bought that one before Best Buy had a display model but I had read the reviews on the internet and just had to have that 15 x optical zoom. I usually buy from the lowest place on the internet.

Wife has a little Sony DSC-T9 that she carries in her purse. It's really small and the buttons on it fit my fingers better than our H9. And it fits in my shirt pocket.

Digitals and computers have made photography a lot more fun and a bunch less expensive.

Good luck with what ever you go with.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i too like the kodak easy share camera trouble is though mine has somehow became incompatable with my computer running windows vista
    i need to delete a particular file and reinstall the software but i need tech support to do it and they were closed by the time i was able to call tonite .
    i have the kodak Z700 and it has a 5xzoom and 4.0mp its been a good camera until this software snafu.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well John, what's in the budget? I'm gonna assume that you can afford a better camera than we have. Seems to be a big jump in price between a satisfactory camera, and a good one. We HAD an HP 525M 5.0 mpxl ($136). It took a spill, and cracked the display. Replaced it with an HP 527 6.0 mpxl that we found on clearance for $100 so that our memory card, and software were already compatible. They are very user friendly, but nothing too special. Haven't really dealved into the features of the new camera, but results are satisfactory for what we use it for. Can't seem to get the depth of field that I would like, but that could be a matter of me not doing things right.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ahh so. I see so, said the spider to the orangutan. Life is complicated and you guys are dealing with a dummy here. Wonderful replies, some taking a lot of time. I appreciate it.

When Nancy is not tired, not working, in a good mood, and I have been a good boy, and all the bills are paid, and the sign of the moon is right and the dog is not having a seizure, and the truck starts without having to jump it, I am going to have her read this thread. (long before Christmas). I rarely ask her to come on here.

She has enough of a hard time dealing with me being nuts. I don't want her to see who I hang around with. Could complicate things. She will probably buy a case of Straight Jackets for me for Christmas.

Thanks John.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    MR BEETLE SHE SHOULD GET A AWARD AND OUTSTANDING RECOGNITION FOR PUTTING UP WITH YOU.......I cant think of anything better to compare you to other than what george said:wink:I hope you get your camera and fingure it out but scares me to.......Something tells me giving you a camera is as bad as a gun:eek:oooh: The EASY SHARE from walley world works well for us in the house

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Yep, seeing what ole John does with words, I can't imagine what he would do with pictures! :crazy::smile2:

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nancy bless her soul, popped for an Xmas camera. She ordered it last night off this wonderful contraption called a computer. She drug me out shopping yesterday. I haven't been off the place for nearly two weeks. Had to put clean clothes on, take a shower and look like a human being.

I didn't know the world's population had increased so much. They talk about hard times. I never saw so many people, spending so much money as I did yesterday. She took me to every mall and every superstore she could think of. I kept looking for guys with M1 Garands ready to sight me in. Didn't enjoy it at all, and I couldn't carry a beer in my hands.

We couldn't even get to the camera displays, let alone spend her money. After I finally talked her into going home, she got on the internet and found what we wanted. You guys were very helpful. We settled on a Canon A720 IS digital, 8 Megapixel, 2 1/2" display, 6X zoom. Best Buy, 228 bucks plus a 49 dollar 4 year warranty. Had it ordered and on the way in 20 minutes and I didn't have to keep looking over my shoulder for snipers.

Will head down to Keokuk and get some pictures of Andy and Kenny. Esp. Kenny. Will get a closeup of him for you guys and see what he looks like without teeth. The last time I was through Keokuk was in 1986 to buy a team of draft horses on the Missouri border. Hope I can find it. Not Missouri, Keokuk. Missouri is a foreign land somewhere far away.

Thanks for your help folks.

John.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mr.Postbeetle If you get this was you bring your pole and cooler of liquid refreshments so we can take a afternoon off to the great outdoors..(MAKE DAMB SURE IT IS WARMER OUT TO OR I AM THROWING YOU IN A SNOW BANK!)......Best put the camera in a baggie or get a cell camera cause electronics dont like water.
    I could of warned you about women and cameras I too went thru this with Lilly a couple years ago except I didnt have to look for evil little guys with a contraption tryin to hurt me and the camere isles were clear for her to take her sweetest of time to spend my money....I drank 4 or so befor we left and stuck a couple in my pockets cause I knew it would be a long day.....................
    OHHH what we can learn from each other:eek:oooh::tounge_out::eek:oooh::tounge_out::eek:oooh:

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    P.S. Beetleman Something tells me a good roll of Gorilla duct tape would more suit your needs with Nancy then you will keep out of trouble :wink:

19. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    John, looks like you made a wise choice. Canon does make good cameras. 2.5 inch display is great for them olderish eyes (trying to be nice here). Glad to see ya back.

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Postbeetle - My wife has a Canon A520 which she has used for about 2 years now and it takes really nice pics! It is user friendly for sure! I think you will be pleased with the A720! :big_smile: