Geographic Midpoint calculator for Gateway Cats members

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Jul 31, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Geographic midpoint of members that I know the cities for as calculated by an unbiased computer program:

http://www.geomidpoint.com/viewmap.html?38.733833|38.995257|38.787748|38.827365|38.901039|38.903382|38.790447|38.426657|38.225322|38.137894|38.627522|39.44358&-90.4748645|-90.738321|-90.709014|-91.021623|-90.047697|-90.149299|-89.97943|-90.377061|-90.384925|-90.563708|-90.19841|-91.060313&0&1

Without Slider factored in for those who think he is so far North as to skew the results unfavorably:
    http://www.geomidpoint.com/viewmap.html?38.6626997|38.995257|38.787748|38.827365|38.901039|38.903382|38.790447|38.426657|38.225322|38.137894|38.627522&-90.4169632|-90.738321|-90.709014|-91.021623|-90.047697|-90.149299|-89.97943|-90.377061|-90.384925|-90.563708|-90.19841&0&1

I hope this ends the controversy over the geographic center of the membership. If I had a membership roster I could enter the location of ALL members and get a more accurate result. But mostly I hope to just settle the issue in fairness to all members.

Thanks,

Skippy

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    So essentially you're all just a bunch of Maryland Heights snobs, eh?

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fish catchin snobs noless!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    dont worry about factoring me in if im traveling that far theres going to be fishing,beer drinking,and some dancing girls maybe not in that order:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Now that was funny!!! LMAO!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    In that case I guess we can have the meetings at my shop in Maryland Heights, huh.. Then all I gotta do is sit around and drink beer till meeting time... hehehe

7. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Ok let me see if i got this straight ---- your buying the beer at the next meeting

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I don't make enough money to buy beer for you alcoholics.. I mean Boozers..

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok folks, need to make a point here. Some folks think (and have accused me of) purposely leaving off 'southern' members to skew the results. I do admit (and did admit) that I only posted the cities of folks that I could remember. I will add though that there are, I believe, about a 2-1 ratio of 'northerners' to 'southerners' that I did not list. I doubt that the cocentric marker will shift south after I get a full membership roster but I will post a new map as soon as i can get my hands on the full membership list.

I was only trying to clear up the squabbling over where the memberships geographic center is located as described in the bylaws for meetings.

I have only tried to represent ALL GATEWAY CATS MEMBERS with no bias to either side. I am trying to do my job.

There will be an update here.

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thank you so much Darryl for your diligent service to the members of this club and I think I speak for all us when I say we are all sitting on the edge of our seats in anticipation of this long over due update. :roll_eyes:

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I figure once they add Brandon in they will be meeting over around Hermann or so. [​IMG]

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think that I would skew things quite a bit as well.

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Slider is purposely left off as will be all others who are so far out as to not realistically drive to meetings on a regular basis.

I am glad you are perched on the edge of your seat Mike because this map is just for you, designed to settle the location issue with an unbiased point of view.

Thank you for your patience.

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Darryl,
    Sounds more like a job in local government than a catfishing club.
    How about solving the controversy by spending more time fishin and less time meetin?:wink::wink::wink:...W

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sorry Winston, I know that we are all going to have to step back and regroup. But the problem is that there has in fact not been enough meetin'. We all need to tend to business of the club and get that settled, then we can fish.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The 'Geographic Center" of the membership (tossing out the 10 percent of the farthest drives) would be very slightly east of St. Charles, Missouri. (Within a knats arse of Cabelas) A couple miles in any direction probably isnt terribly critical.

I ran these numbers when I was trying to locate a suitable facility for the membership (hence Cabelas) What I didnt plan on, was being at or near capacity for their twin conference rooms within a years time period. It works short term, however long term I believe it will be cramped and not what we will be needing.

Keeping in mind this club has only been in existence for 8 months, with 4 meetings, 3 dollar tourneys, A childs charity fund raiser, and a Childrens Tournament, I'd say I'm pleasantly pleased with the results thus far.

In the future, the members can COUNT on more meeting/fishing gatherings which will be same day events. It is important to have some structure to our meetings, however its paramount that each of us realize this is a social club, with the moto listed at the top of this page.

I will readily take the blame that I feel we could have had more Dollar Tourney's and fun events thus far however the river levels since January have come into my logic far too many times to count. As talented as this group of fisherman is (some of the best boat handlers there are, bar none) Conditions for several months now are at best only moderately safe. By nature of our extensive experiences on the river, we are able to mitigate the risk and operate our vessels safely, however everyone must keep in mind that when we publish a Dollar Tourny, it isnt just us showing up for them. We often get new boats, new members, etc and as fellow citizen, President of this club, I must consider the fact when I turn several boats loose that its SAFE to do so for the AVERAGE boater.

I hate the way the river has been as much as anyone. If anything gets me through these bad conditions, its the fact well enjoy a phenomenal bite when it subsides. (many of you have realized this the past two weeks on one of the best bites I have seen in 10 years)

That being said, when the river levels subside, you (THE MEMBERS) can count on more fun activities involving Catfishing, and these events will be attached to a formal meeting structure ramp side when conditions permit. I realize there needs to be amendments to the ByLaws to indicate such, and this will be a product of the Board Of Directors. ByLaws, by nature, are a LIVING document that are amendable to the good of the club. As it should be.

As for geographic location of the membership, I realize that some of us merely live on the outskirts of the majority. (me being one of them) myself, grumper, punkin, skippy, michael jake, gup, and others do live quite a ways from any central location. Again, the idea is to minimize driving for the majority which means "I" will have to drive a little further than most, and I dont mind so much. Rest Assured, we will keep as many meetings and tourneys as possible to a central location. My thoughts are to rotate the dollar tourneys around the sectors so that everyone can enjoy a backyard drive every now and then.

I really dont see any need for hard feelings over this issue. The Club has been a tremendous success in my personal opinion this past 8 months and I look forward to scheduling more and more activities for all of you to enjoy. Again, if things seem slow these past 3 months, I very humbly refer everyone to the river levels.

If anyone has a concern with the scheduling of events, locations or ramps, and feel I'm being unfair, please direct your comments to me, yours truly, so that I may explain, or that I may except the blame for a goof up. Please dont direct comments at individual members. I'm solely responsible for scheduling, and I will listen intently to suggestions, and weigh them with the others that I receive. Please keep me at the center of your 'disgruntledness' if you must.

Lastly, let me apologize to each and everyone of you for not staying a major step ahead of things. I have no excuses, other than I have been flying my backside off trying to stock pile cash in the event my company goes under in the crazy airline business. And, summer time is our busiest flying season of the year and my best chance at raking in some nice paychecks. Rest assured I have recommitted my self to each and everyone of you, and you'll see some positive things coming soon. My boat has seen the river one time in 2 months, and I've averaged being in my bed 7 nights a month for the last two months. I truly have been busy, however thats NO excuse. Instead of lying at the pool on a layover with a cold one, I could be tending to my flock I created and for that I truly apologize. Dont give up on this club, and dont give up on me. We will get there. I'm tickled with the way things have gone so far, and I look forward to alot of future memories with each and everyone of you.

Thanks for the Rant.

Cuz

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for the diplomatic, informative post Mr. Prez.

I hope we can all just get back to business now, and some fishing too.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    NOTE to all :tounge_out: Next weeks meeting will be about 15 miles south of our "ideal locations" :beauty::big_smile_2::0a20::001:

19. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    I could be tending to my flock ?

ok but am i a goose? a duck? pidgeon? phesant?

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nope Ol Wise One, you dont have rod racks on your dinghy, so you can be a Guinea. LMAO :wink::smile2:

And, uh, Jer, Sir, Its Pheasant LMAO I know, I know, HUKT ON FoNiX wuKt Fo Jer REEEE