Geocaching? Have you heard of this?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TOPS, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My Son-in-Law had Navigation class on his training schedule [ Air force], They went Geocaching using hand held GPS, I received a class from him, interesting

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea, its been going on forsome years now.
    We've had a thread or two before on Geocaching but it's been several years.

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've heard of it and looked into it and want to try it. Seems fun and interesting. People hide things and will give the coordinates to where it is then you have to find what ever they hid. They usually place things into a bin with a log. Once you find it using your GPS then you can take something from it and replace it with something else. Usually some cheap trinket and in some cases there is cash. Then you sign the log and replace it.
    Often it is way out in the woods or somewhere in a town or a city. I need to get me a GPS and do it. I need the exercise.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never heard of it till now ,Don't know if I got the electronic savvy tho:wink::smile2:

5. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    ex coworker used to do that in town, he said even bricks that were lose in a building wall or fence could be a possible hiding spot

a laptop and internet acccess from somewhere like mcdonalds or hotel where u can sit in parkin lot helps too

he said he used to find markers that were like old time property markers while doin it and special national markers

6. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Geocaching is a lot of fun and gps are fairly easy to use. Its kinda like an Easter egg hunt for big kids. Geocaching. co m has all the info on it you will need. You most likely won't even need to travel very far to find some, they are everywhere. My first find was actually less then six feet from my favorite fishing spot.

7. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds like something Geo made when Chevrolet wadn't looking!!! Hehe, sounds interesting.

So what is your outlaw son, I mean son-in-law training to become in the USAF??

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    My brother-in-law is into it. He's wanting to teach my son. That should prove interesting, since my BIL is in Colorado and we are in Tennessee...:wink: I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Just need to find a GPS I can afford!!:eek:oooh:

Deb

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    The markers are called "Benchmarks" they are survey markers placed by the NGCS. It's related to, but not a part of Geocaching, it's called Benchmarking

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    My family and I have been caching since 2002. I was actually out with another guy "snake hunting" when I accidentally found a cache. I was immediately hooked!
    Since that time, we have found 742 caches and hidden 50. That may sound like a lot, but there are people out there who have found 20,000 caches!

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    You can get a basic GPS for $100 or less. Take a look around on e-bay. They're like anything else, the more bells and whistles, the higher the cost.

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Actually, they are really easy to learn. Heck I figured it out! :wink:

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I recieved my new Garmin 60Cx Gps yesterday 16 July 08, This is a nice unit I can Geocash my but off with the new unit.

14. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    It is lots of fun. Of course, it depends on who you are doing it with!

Mik

:roll_eyes:

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    It's really fun sounding but I feel my wife would get way to into it. I can't afford for her to have a hobby when I have 2 lol.!