Gents, I need help and rather soon, Please.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Sunburn, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    I'm mostly a river fisherman. I grew up fishing the Ohio River. The wife and I are going to take the boat and head for Salt Fork Lake in eastern Ohio this evening and do a little night fishing for channels and flatheads. Now my problem: I have a very limited understanding of just WHERE in a big lake to look for both types of cats! In a river with any current at all it's fairly easy. Not so in a lake. What area's should we look for and what type of structure? Logs, drop offs, creek channels, flats or what? I'm rather lost here guys. How about helping out the dummy again?? Thanks for your time folks.

2. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    Try to look for all those things you mentioned. I would try the deep spots first an if nothing bites go for the shallows. They should be there feeding.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Get ahold of tspergin or doughboy they went out and caught a 50lbr a couple of days ago. You might want to check with loanwizard he fishes that lake all the time.

4. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    For the channel cat, I would try find the channels in the lake. The way I find the channels in the lake is I back off in the middle of the lake and look for the current in the lake. If I can't find the current, I set back and try to find a tree line that might mark the original channel on the lake.
    I guess what I am trying to say is, most lakes were formed by damning a river and thus forming the lake. I try to find the original river channel and fish there for the channel cat.
    That is just my opinion. I have never been to the lake you are speaking of, or the state for either.
    Sorry I couldn't be of any help.
    Sassy

<<<<<<Goes to her corner and reminds herself to keep her mouth shut when she can't find the words she needs to try and help :0a33:>>>>>>>>>>

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Points are the best place to start on a lake in my opinion. They create a unique underwater structure that fish seem to be drawn to with a good combination of drop-offs, shallows, and deep areas. Anchor on them and cast into 1-3 feet of water. If it is a new lake you have not fished, then stop and get you a map and you can plot out a course for the night.

We do a lot of "point hopping" in the summer by hitting several of these areas in a night and fishing them for an hour or so and moving on if the fish are not there. If the channels are working that area for food you will get on a bite. They seem to come through in packs, often times loading up several rods within a matter of minutes and then disappearing for a while.

Anytime you see one of those DANGER buoys that marks shallow water around a point, just consider that a fish marker!! I can not count how many big fish I have caught between those buoys and the bank!

6. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    try looking for a map online and then a fishing report for the past week.
    usually if you get there early you can find some old timers that will tell you where they would go.

7. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    We caught a few small channels, but no flats. Still a great night and sure beats staying home watching the idiot box (TV).