Gene's Katbobbers and rivers.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loanwizard, Jul 9, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    OK so I'm sold on the Katbobber, and have had some success in a lake. I am having a terrible time with them in the river though. I would like to drift them in toward cover to entice a Flattie but have lost most of my rigs due to snags. I have tried the classic bobberstop bead bobber swivel leader hook ste up, and I have tried a modified 3 way with 2 swivels, the top one with a big Kahle, the bottom with smaller line and a sinker. What is the method some of you River guys use to present a bait with reasonable precision? I am looking at relatively shallow water but with heavy current.
    What I am looking to do is get into shallow fast water and float a bait past a rock and hold it there, or to anchor said bait off the bottom near a brush pile.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn(Coshocton)

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Shawn Ole Buddy;

How Big are the KatBobbers you have? Do you have any Fat_KatBobbers?
    Use the largest one you have and put 6 oz or more lead under them and fish short of your Structure. That will keep the bait down at the depth you wanna be at and you may want to try longer leaders to keep you further back from the structure. Them Big ole cats will come to your bait if you are upstream from them just a few feet i do believe. If you feel you need to use more weight than your bobber will support, PM Me your Phone #.

Gene

3. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have no problems with the bobber, it is a presentation issue. Should I leave the weight above the bait and use heavier sinkers (6-8 oz) to hold the bobberstop tight to the bobber thus preserving depth or should I cast to the spot with a 3 way with the weight anchoring the bottom? In other words if I am fishing a snag in 6 feet of water should my sinker to bobberstop be 8 feet to allow for bowing in the current or should I use it like a bluegill bobber and trust that the weight will keep the bait down and not allow the bobber to slide down to the swivel?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn(Coshocton)

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Shawn, I use mine with the hook on the bottom, than aprox. a 2 foot leader tied to a 2 way swivel.
    I than put on a slip sinker weight above the swivel (what ever size it takes to hold your bait down)
    Above the weight I tie on my bobber stop at the desired depth I want to fish.
    Above the bobber stop I put on a bead so the bobber stop wont slip thru the bobber, above that your kat bobber.

5. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
  6. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    That's wher I learned it. Am I just letting it get too close to the snags? I have lost about 4-5 of them due to snags.

7. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Shawn;

Personally I believe that you are putting you gear in too close, but that is just my opinion. I do know that with the nose then big ole cats have, they are not too shy as to not come out for the Bait. Most of them have just came off the spawn and they are HUNGRY. Just look at the big ones guys are hammering right now.

Just my 2 Cents worth;

Gene

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if your getting snagged before you get to where you want your bait you might want to get a little closer and cast over the obstruction.if that dont work use your depth finder and see how deep the snags are and set you bait above that.you dont haft to have your bait on bottom these flathads will come up on top if your bait is lively and making a good comotion.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You dont have to fish too close to the bottom. Flatheads eyes are more set for looking up than down and flatheads will feed from the top to bottom of the water column. The great thing about Katbobber fishing is that you don't have to go with the ol' bait on the bottom technique. I think thats why I have had success using them.

10. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Rob:

Are you still tearin them up with them Bullheads. Great bait for big Flats.

Good tosee ya on here Posting. I have missed ya.

Thanks;

Gene

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The spawn has just ended up here and the river has got low enough to get to the places I have success at from shore. I should start to nail some flatties in the next couple of weeks. I have pulled a few flatties drifting a katbobber up to the fronts of snags but I like to find the nice big eddies. Thats where I have the most success.