Generators

Discussion in 'Boating' started by willcat, Jul 14, 2007.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    what do u think about running a generator on a pontoon @ night? do u think it would scare the fish? maybe resonate sound thru the toons? just wondering-btw it's a small one 1000 watts w/rubber on the bottom for vibration & fairly quiet but i didn't know about how quiet it should be or whether it mattered!!! n e help is greatly appreciated thanks guys

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    First question is why would you want to?:eek:oooh:
    You can get most anything made to run off DC.
    I even have an 8 cup automatic coffee maker that runs off 12 volts.:cool2:

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    no need to, just wondering--maybe big lights or something while going thru the lake @ night! i fish choke canyon lake reservoir & there alot of trees that break the surface even in 20 to 30 ft of water--i already have kc highlights mounted on either side of the front that work pretty good! just looking for advice that's all. btw how's ur project toon coming along--n e pics yet- i know u were looking to make into the perfect catfish boat. if u get em how bout some pics for some more ideas on mine thanks mark j always helpful

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    o yeah i've mostly seen them on bowfishing boats which i would like to try some day-but i think keeping one on board esp a small one like i have wouldn't be a bad idea-it also has a port for charging batteries just in case--althouh i keep cables & a jumper box on board

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    No I wouldnt use one on a boat because of the fumes that will build up in the air around the area. There not safe to run in closed in area and in a boat you would be near it witch is not good either.

6. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I've been fishing on a pontoon with a guy that runs a noisy generator when he runs out of 12v power (he's too cheap to buy a good deep cycle), I haven't noticed it changes the fishing to speak of.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Check your state's regulations.
    Every state I know of closely adheres to the coastguard regs.
    Those regs say that your nav lights have to be visible for one mile. The anchor light 2 miles.
    If you are running headlights on a boat you are out of reg and creating a dangerous situation to other boaters.
    There is no such thing as a boat headlight made and marketed.

http://www.uscgboating.org/waypoints/archived/aug05/article10_navlights.htm

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    No dog in this fight but one of the guides at Santee has a 27 ft center console and he has a little Honda gen on it he uses to clean and filet fish with his electric knife.As far as the vibration he also has a Merc 10hp engine on the back which he cranks up to attractic fish particularly striper which I have noted love to be right in the engine wash.He tells a funny story of justifying a 4k$ fish caller to his wife.He is one of the premier guides down there and it works for him.If you have one of those metal roofs on your pontoon you can mount the gen up there to get away from noise and fumes.I wouldnt want to listen to one all night but they could be handy.When I fished Percy Priest Res in Tenn at night for smallmouths I noticed many of the pontoons and sailboats that are on that lake on week end nights had small gens to power fancy light sets etc.:big_smile:

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i have both nav lights & anchor light- i only use the headlights when there arent too many people on the water at night just to see farther ahead & look at the shore line!!thanks guys

10. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Pontoon boats have dock lights that are confused for headlights. They are generally adjustable with most angled downward at 15-20 degrees. This gives better lighting by using the water to reflect the lightbeam to illuminate areas close to the boat. The deflection of the light when used as "headlights" does not shine directly into oncoming boats, and with my experience lights shoreline and structure better than a direct beam.(kind of a eerie rippled light). If you need extra light to see where you are going get a Q-beam and use sparingly....sometimes it is easier to see at night with no artificial light...use nav lights though.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You cant see any farther then your headlight beams. That is the limiting factor.
    If you douse the lights except the required running lights and protect and learn to use your natural night vision you'll find you can see better without artificial light on the water.:wink:
    You have to learn to use the ability.
    Atleast when you do, not only is your safety improved but the safety of everyone else beyond the beams of your headlights.
    Boats dont have brakes.

12. L.A.Katracker

L.A.Katracker New Member

State:
    Lower Alabama
    I have a houseboat. When it's cold i'll turn the heater on , when it's to hot i'll turn the air on. At night I run 2 big underwater lights off of my generator and I still catch fish with it running. It's in the bottom of my houseboat in the back and I have a fan in front of it that comes on when it turns on that blows the fumes out through a vent. What i"m saying is it is a big generator and we still catch fish all night. Hope this helps.:big_smile:

13. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    we use a 7000 watt generator on our bow fishing boat to run the 15 500 watt flood lights mounted to a deck on the front of the boat. it doesn't bother the fish one bit