Generator Belt

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SC Hartwell, Jan 11, 2007.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    My generator belt is broken on my 40 hp 1962 lark. I have found one at a local boat store, would this be the problem why boat has a tough time idling? I think it makes the engine eat through the batteries..?!? What do you guys think, they said I could get it about 50 bucks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I don't think it will have any thing to do with the idling. You will have to repack the low idle screws to make it idle good, Did you rebuild the carb or did you just clean it. I will check and see if I still have the belt on the other motor and if its still there I'll send along with the rest of the things. I'll find the proper settings for the carb and post it on here.

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I rebuilt it, what do you mean repack the idle screw. My rebuild kit came with a couple of small looking O-rings. Do I need to put some of those on it? I didn't mess with the idle screws too much but I gave the entire thing new seals and gaskets. What should I do to get it idling right, what would be even better would be to post a carburetor rebuild. I would do it but I just went through the hassle of doing it. It acts like it is soooo incredibly close to idling speed, maybe I just need to tinker with the screw?

O yeah, thanks in advance if you have that belt! Man if there is anything you ever need let me know!! I may be a low-budget college student, but I will do what i can!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There should be a brass nut screw around the two idle set adjustments screws. One is for low idle and the other should be high speed setting.
    You take the nut off and back the screw all the way out and it has packing around it and if it draws air around it it will not idle. Before you go any futher let me see if I can find the spec on the settings and find the sync and lync procdure and that might be all you need.

You need to set those idle settings while in the water with it in gear.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You screw the low speed needle in until it seats gently and not hard if you turn it in real tight it could distort the needle and then you are in for it.

Screw it in until it seats gently and then back it out 1 1/2 turns

Seat the high speed needle until it seats and back it out 3/4 of a turn.
    This is a starting place. when you get it under a load you adjust it out 1/8th of a turn at . wait for a few seconds and wait for the fuel adjustment catch up with the motor. Keep this procdure up until it goes to mising. or loading up. Then turn it clock wise 1/8 of a turn at a time until you hear it start to choke out. then turn it counter clockwise 1/4 of a turn and tighten the nut down so it won't loosen up and move on yea.

On the high speed move it out 1/8th of a turn at a time unti you hit the sweet spot on the throttle up If it gags on you while running under a load then move onle the high spped needle.

Does you carb have the electric choke on it.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jason I have to pull the recoil off the top of the motor tomorrow or monday to get you the belt but I should have it on the way by tuesday at the latest.

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thankyou, I appreciate it sooo much!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Got them laying here in front of me and will package them up and get them in the mail.
    I didn't have the little weired looking piece though.
    Coming is the belt and prop nut.