General Medical Training

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    How many Bros/Sis. on here have training in First Aid , CPR, Rescue, EMT and etc. Have you ever had to use your training and results. I use to teach First Aid, and CPR. But never had to use it. I have used the "Heimlich" maneuver a couple of times to free an airway.

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I have a current First aid and CPR certs. Been working construction for over 30 years and have used it many times over the years.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    As a deputy sheriff in a rural county I had to use my training a lot. The one time that I will always remember is when a deputy had a heart attack in one of our training sessions. We did CPR on him until Life flight could get there. The really strange thing was his granddaughter was born at almost the same time and her heart stopped and they had to do CPR on her in the same hospital he was taken to. Both made it and I got to see them about 2 months later.

What really hurts is to get to an accident and there is nothing you can do, especially if kids are involved,

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I ran a wrecker service in the Mt's of Colo back in the late 1980s . I used my first aid training a lot. Many times I was at the wrecks before the EMT

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I used the "HINEYLICK" maneuver once. All it got me was a date. LOL!

Trained in all of it. Its like anything though. If ya don't use it you loose it. Stay on top of the trainin asspect. :wink:

6. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::crazy::crazy::crazy::0a5:

Your some thing BG :smile2:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Trained in all, only used some. Some of the training was while in the U S NAVY, but most was law enforcement related. Used the Heimlich twice. Used CPR 6 times. Held the bleeding back on many occasions.

Dirtdobber, you are quite right. I hated working the accidents, especially when you couldn't help the badly hurt ones. My worse was a single car accident I came upon. The pregnant woman was decapitated, but the baby was still alive. It had been torn out of her and laying on the road 20 ft away, still attached to what was left of it's mother. That was one of the CPR times and the baby lived for 4 days. The nightmares stopped, for the most part, about 15 years later, thank God. The hardest part is knowing you cannot just call for help, you are the help! Your the one who has to do something.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    T had training when I belonged to the vol. Fire dept. Never was able to use iy,I get in a situation like that I totally freeze,I'm almost ashamed to admit it. I guess it takes something I ain't got.:sad2: Any way I eventually quit working as a VFf because of the fact that I was afraid someone would die cause I would freeze.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I used to use CPR and firat aid a lot when I worked as an Athletic Trainer. I had some nasty compound fractures, a ruptured spleen, lots of dislocations, etc.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you need more then a bandaid or don't like the color of my sewing thread, you better bring it with you.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    One does have to stay up with the training, or you will loose some of it. In the Dept of Corrections it was a requirement that everyone be trained in all aspects of General Medical Training. The thing that amazed me was Doctors and Nurses that had advanced training was the ones most likely to flunk the practical part of the courses. I guess you would say they were over trained and forgot the emergency part or first responder part.
    BG I knew the the HineyLick would come up but never thought it would come from you.:smile2::smile2::smile2: