General hook question...

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by AwShucks, Jun 7, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems as though I should know the answer to this question... it has been floating around in the back of my mind for about two days and seeing as how I haven't convinced myself of the answer, I thought I would just throw it out for general discussion.

Here's the set up... your jug fishing (or possibly limb lines, or trot lines, etc) and have several hooks on your line. You have a big fish on and suddenly it makes a break to get away from the deep fat fryer, ripping the line you have gathered into your boat through your hands. Now, a standard "J" hook is gonna get you, a kahle hook will probably get you... but would a circle hook get you? Seems like that would be against the nature of a circle hook, but you hear of the long liners in the North Atlantic, who uses circle hooks, getting caught all the time. So, whats everyones opinion?

2. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    With my luck, if its got a sharp point anywhere on it I will find it. Tie it to the boat first so if he runs you can let go?

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I figure if it it's good for catching cats it will work equally well on hands.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i used circle hooks comm. fishing and take my word for it they will get you.if you use to small a hook they will get you again if you try to roll the hook on around to cut it off.

5. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wonder if you could slip something over the other hooks as you go pass them. Our maybe have your fishing buddy take them off as they come in the boat?

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Boat the fish with a dip net.
    Jake

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    AwShucks,

I would say the circle would be your "best" shot at "not" getting hooked....But if that worries you, just put one hook on the jug/limbline....It's been said by Doug Stange, that you should be able to carry a "good" circle hook(which I think is an "inline" point) in your pocket for a day and never feel the point touch the skin....Dwight

8. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can't say I have much experience with limb lines, trot lines or jug lines (I've helped my uncle check his limb and trot lines a few times before), but I do know that a hook will hook you just as good as it will hook the fish. Circle hooks will to, but I'd expect to a lesser extent than J style or kahle hooks. What little I did do with my uncle I think I might have learned a few things from just being there and seeing what it was like. One thing I think might help is a pole of some sort (maybe a long piece of dowel) 6ft long or more with a hook on it. Maybe, even a gaff? This would keep your hands away from the line and the hooks. When it does come time to get your hands on the line, a good pair of leather gloves would come int handy I'd bet. They'd also give your hands some protection. Also, a good net will come in handy I'm sure. Maybe one similar to what the people on tv use for muskie and pike.