General catfishing question - bail open or closed

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Localhero813, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    do you use the bail open on your reels when catfishing or closed. i was told that they wont bite if there is tension when its :cool2:closed

2. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Big ones don't care about tension as long as it's constant. I usually leave the bail closed but set the drag to about 3 lbs or so. Keeps it loose enough to pay line out on a big one, but tight enough that current doesn't pull line by itself.

3. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I do mine the same way. Set it loose so the fish can run with it and make that nice drag sound. When he starts running with it, I grab the bail lightly with my hand and set the hook and let the bail go so he can run a little more before I tighten it up and start fighting. If you leave the bail open you will not be able to tell hes taking out line if your not paying attention.Hope this helps.

4. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I always cast out ,reel tight line, then set bail. I use a circle hook for channels and when I hear that sound I just start reeling 90% of the time I get a hook set. When I fish for Flatheads I use a j hook and cast out, reel tight line, then set bail. when I know he's got it I click bail off and set hook hopefully hard enough to cross his eyes. Good Luck IRONCAT

5. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks alot!!!:big_smile:

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Sometimes when I'm live bait fishing with a spinning reel, I'll cast out reel line tight, let off a little, then put the line under a rubberband on the handle and open the bail. . The fish feels no tension and the line slides right out when they hit. If you want to hear it put an empty beer can around the line and it will fall over when the line come out from under the rubber band.
    Chip

7. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I AGREE, I ALSO SET MY DRAGS LOOSE SO THE FISH CAN RUN THAT WAY IF I'M POURING SOME COFFEE OR CHECKING BAITS I CAN HEAR THE RUNS.

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    i cast out, reel tight, and loosen up my drag.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Bail closed for me. I cast out,close the bail,and put in rod holder.Never had any problems with catfish shunning the bait because of tension.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I cast my line out I always keep tight so I know when a fish hits.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have always kept mine closed

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    For me, it has Always been CLOSED! Once the Baitrunners came out, I was set. This has substantially improved my fishing techniques while tightlining. When using a Baitcaster, the CLICKER was the tackle saver. Now, you have the LEVER Drag that can be used. As the years have come and gone, we do have GREAT improvements in fishing gear. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

13. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i have always fished bail closed. between wind and current i can't see letting my line get blown down river. setting the drag loose has always been just something i've done.