gelcoat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by russ, Dec 23, 2007.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have a few chips in the gelcoat on the bottom of my boat, it dose not leak, but i want to fix it before i hit something & hurt the glass. how do you fix the gelcoat, i will have to do this with the boat on the trailer. all info. will be great.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can buy gelcoat repair kits. Comes with a little gel coat and some assorted colors to mix in it to match what you got.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To me the concern would be to cover a chip/hole that allowed the fiberglass mat to show. That is inviting a slow seepage which spreads througout the hull. Even if you don't cover it with a matching gel coat, get some fiberglass resin over that chip.

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Make sure when repairing the hole, to rough up the exterior around the hole well beyond the area to be patched (2-3"). If you don't, and your boat still has a good shine on it (a wax buildup) haloing will occur on your patch which will eventually cause your patch to pull out.

5. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    how is it going russ, ive been working with fiberglass for several years now. id have to see the chips in your gelcoat. to tell you for sure how id do it. id be 99.9% sure that your boat will never leak. but id repair the voids under your boat they will hit things over time and get larger. catalize some gelcoat and let it get kinda thick like toothpaste and fill it like bondo. sand area working down to 600 grit wet sand boat with 600 grit compound and polish and you will never be able to tell. you can even pigment resin. that would be your strongest bet