Gel Coats for boats

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by AwShucks, May 18, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My friend has a previously owned fiberglass boat. The previous owner has applied a couple of patches on the bottom of the boat. We don't know the extent of damage, if there was any, as to why the patch was applied. At any rate, the patched area appears to be maybe two inches by four inches in length. He has a cream colored gel-coat on 99% of the boat, how and where do you get the jel coat material to apply over the patch to somewhat match the rest of the boat? Is there any tricks to the process? Thanks

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lawrence go to the WEST MARINE website and go to their on line catalog.In the paints etc section there is a good discussion of gel coats etc.I'm not sure you can repair gel coat with any degree of success but that would be a good palce to start.:smile2:

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Follow up:go to the website then click on paints etc,once there click on gelcoat repair,then click on any of the kits you will see and when it opens click on the on-line catalog button which will open their advisory which tells you how to do it and what to look for.Good luck.:smile2:

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm With You Jim, There Isn't A Great Success Rate Repairing Gel-Coat. There Is A Color Matching Kit That They Have @ West Marine But AS You Said,"Good Luck".

I Know It's Not What They Want To Hear But Most People Around Here Just Topcoat Them With Awlgrip., Elliot

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I am not sure how it would work but you should try a coat of fiberglass over the whole and then after that drys put a layer of tar over the top of that.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The way they fix the big fiberglass yachts when they start getting blisters in the gel coat it to sand the hull and repair the dings with epoxy and additives to the epoxy, then paint with Awlgrip or bottom paint.

You can use epoxy over the traditional fiberglass method of boat building but not vice versa.

Jim is right on the gel coat. Gel coat is a mold process.
    That is why these kits are labeled gel coat repair kits. They aren't gel coat and the results of using them will become obvious that they aren't gel coat.

Awlgrip is an awesome boat paint. It is not for someone learning to paint though. The stuff will kill you deader then a hammer. Proper PPE is a must.