Geist Reservoir, Indiana

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Shad Man, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I was thinking about heading down to Geist this week to target some channels. Has anyone fished Geist before? Just looking for a place to fish a little closer than Miss. or Salom. Res. I was planning on just finding a ramp and driving around maybe up to the upper end of the lake. Does anyone know if you can get down below the spillway? It looks good for shad and maybe a few cats too.

2. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I need to open my eyes. I see a thread on Geist below.

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Where is Geist res. anyway?

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    geist is just south of fishers.. easiest way from muncie is.. take 69 to st rd 238, go east. turn south onto olio rd. boat ramp is south of 116th street, just after you cross the causeway. itll be on your right. there is a fee to park/ launch there, but not if you go late at night! :wink::smile2: Actually, the fee isnt too high.. geist is a great place to fish for channels, and ive heard some tales of pretty big blues in there as well

EDIT: Just looked at the map, 238 appears to be exit 10?? hope this helps!

5. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    it is kinda pricey to luanch your boat 12 on weekdays and weekends i think it is 28. the price keeps going up a dollar every year. its getting a little rediculous. i try to stay away from there during the summer months because the boat traffic is unreal and there are some real idiots and the CO's will find some reason to pull you over. there are some giant channels in there and big flatheads but they are hard to come by.

6. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    wow i didnt realize it was so high now... last i remembered it was like 6 during the week and 10 on holidays and weekends.. i must be thinking of somewhere else..lol

better stick with my first thought.. go late at night! theres nobody there, and plenty of parking

7. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah usually if you get there about dark they are gone for the night. if they are still there just park and wait for them to leave. they can not do anything to you anyway if you didnt pay to launch while they were not there.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't have a boat, so the only way I'm able to fish the reservoir are from the causeways and from the park at the very north end of the lake. I've caught some nice channels from there as well as a few decent sized flatheads (have seen pictures of some hogs pulled from there)

You can fish below the spillway, park off of 79th street. After you go over the bridge on 79th there's a pull off where you can park your car. It's a bit of a hike up to the spillway, sometimes the fishing is pretty good...but if its been getting hit hard, the fishing might not be worth the hike. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

9. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    For those of you that didnt realize it Geist isnt a state owned or ran lake. Morse reservior is that way as well. I wont fish those places due to the over priced boat launch fees. There are too many state ramps that the one time fee of $20.00 (boat sticker) will get you into and you can fish as much as you want and where you want. That is what they were planning on doing with the Prarie creek reservior. By the way shad man Salamonie is about the same distance, maybe closer than going to indy from Muncie. I can get to Salmonie in about 45 minutes pulling a boat with out all of the city traffic around indy.

10. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    If you get out before 11am they give half your money back but even during the week I stay well away from there.