Gearing up

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by 223reload, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive been getting lots of gardening catalogs lately starting to think about what to plant this spring i think this year we'll have a lot bigger garden

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard I have not recieved any catalogs yet, I like a good size garden and love fresh vegies, although we have so many farmers markets around I can sometime buy cheaper than planting. If I buy it I don't have to fight the dirt heat and bugs,. Ha. Ha. You better start making that shopping list out.:cool2: :lol:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hear that but gardening is like therapy for me it gives me something meaningfull to do besides watch tv and i cant live wo my hot peppers and fresh onions an maters

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Me and my dad garden a lot. Last year we did potatoes, lettuce, carrots, and a little corn it was fun!

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Haven't started getting any catalogs yet but have the planning stages going thru my mind on what I'm going to plant. Will definitely have some of those Big Boy tomatoes and some okra and squash and have thought about making a raised salad bed using leaf lettuce, radishes and green onions. Love that wilted lettuce in bacon grease with green onions.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man that talk of wilted lettuce gets my mouth waterin i aint eat that in prob. 10 years my grandma made it about every sun. when she passed dad would make it once in a while but he's been gone for 7 so i do miss those greens too

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    one catalog thus far with more to arrive soon im sure. working on a budget too for a new garden project. a 1000 sq ft ten inch raised bed garden with maybe another 500 sq ft dogleg off of it. not sure yet about the dogleg, depends on the cost of having three dump trucks worth of mulch show up. the soil here is alkali clay so im not even going to bother tilling it in. (hence the raised beds)

another thing im not sure of either is irrigation. watering restrictions have ruled out sprinklers so im split between using that tiny drip irrigation line down all the rows or just bury traditional soaker hoses in the mulch. im not that familiar with the drip systems... any of yall use it??? i know the initial expense is greater but do the benefits of drip justify it? feedback please.

im also going to make more use of my landscaping to grow vegetables. ive always planted things amongst my flower beds but this year im going to design and landscape a large bed using chile peppers. (same as you plant marigolds, periwinkle, snapdragons, ect ect ect) diff size and color plants in a pattern, will also free up a lot of that rasied garden for other stuff. one of my beds in the front yard is getting some of that rainbow colored rhubarb.

one row is dedicated to bush snap beans all season. pick em once, wait ten days pull em up by the roots and pick each bush clean and replant. unless i get hit with a late freeze these are the first things i harvest. for sure okra, t'maters, rutabagas- (best "greens" there are, IMO) various squashes, eggplants, cukes. and who knows whatever else strikes my fancy.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive used drip systems for the wifes roses and some raspberrys and im trying to design one here at my new res. to cut down on water usage as well as water stuff deep to get it through our hot dry summer times

9. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    We have been getting gardening catalogs since new years. Gives us time
    to plan our garden, even though we plant the same produce every year. We don't start plants anymore, we buy them from local growers. But I
    like to browse seed books and the garden gadgets in them.

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was experimenting growing a tomato plant here in Florida this winter. Picked my first tomato today.

11. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    Let's say you have 3000 sq.ft. of roof area. Redirect downspouts to reservoir of your choice(barrels,plastic tanks kiddie pool) . Use drain hole valve(s) for controlling irrigation with hose of your choice. Mathematics tells you that you can effectively double triple or even quadruple watering amounts over natural rainfall.