Gearing up for 1st GPS purchase...

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by The Pirate, Dec 2, 2009.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    hello guys...
    I'm brand new to these forums, but hope you guys can help & lead me in the right direction for my 1st GPS purchase...

I'm in south Arkansas, & will only be fishing area lakes & rivers...

I'd like to mark my truck, head out on the lake/river, mark fishing spots, then find my way back to the truck...

It'd be nice if I could stay connected to satellites while in cover (wooded areas)...

It won't need to be a depth finder, as my boat already has one...

Any help is appreciated...

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC all the way from California.I have had two Magellans hand held with 12 volt adapter..... zapped one with the wrong polarity.

I still have a hand held for a back up, but mainly use the Lowrance as the main one in the boat. I've had fun using it and it gets me back to offshore ocean marks, and is great for dark nights on the lakes and rivers for navagation...I Believe I have the 3500c.

have a great Christmas. Bayrunner Ray

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have a Garmin 60Cx,works very well for me.

Attached Files:

4. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Tops...
    after looking at your GPS & reading the reviews, I'm leaning toward the Garmin 60Cx...

what's the pros & cons to this unit???

thanks again...

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I had a magellan but was hard for me to learn, if you are into Geocahing, the Garmin can be used to downloard the grid direct into the unit with the megellan you can not.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    more than anything else, I will use the GPS for fishing & occasionally I will use it to mark my truck location while squirrel hunting...

my phone has GPS on it for any city driving, so towns/city/hwy isn't really needed...

mainly to mark my fishing locations...

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When I was able to hunt I did the same, they work really well for marking the truck.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh, how times have changed. I was never, never, leary of not finding my truck. I wonder what else these new marvels have done to help mankind. LOL

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I got lost in a 1500 acre woods one afternoon, took me most of the night to find my way out, I bought me a GPS the next day! when you hunt out of state things like this Happen.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I use a handheld for fishing, its a magellan Triton 2000, not to hard to work, I think they have them at Walmart. I use it to mark spots, make trails so I can use the same route again or to back track back to the ramp. really comes in handy after dark . I even used it to find the corners of my property, very handy.

11. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    thanks Little Mac...
    I'll check it out...

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am wanting a GPS on my next depth/fish finder. Never had thought of a hand held unit. I under stand these units are not water proof, and may not even be water resistant. Hate to take one out and have to go swimming with it...lol... probably have a heart attack. Whats the scoop... how much accidental exposure to water can they take?

13. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    at this point I'm torn between the Garmin 60CS & the Lowrance H20C...

will be buying one or the other this weekend...

any other advice yall wanna give before I make the move, feel free... I'm all ears...

14. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I ended up buying the Garmin 60CSx... I've had it now for 3 weeks & am very happy with my purchase...
    I tested the Garmin 70 series, but couldn't get use to the buttons being on top of the unit...
    I'm glad I bought the 60CSx...