Gearhead in newpaper again!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Those Badin/Tillery boys keep popping up in the Charlotte Observer. Today Brother Gearhead is mentioned, appears that he won a catfish championship down that way!:wink:

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    might want to make mention he won that championship fishing out a 20 hp flat bottom boat too. cmj ran tight second after missing one event due to work also in a 25 hp. well the rest of us was just burning up gas with big motors. so for the rest of you out there that think your boat is not big enough to fish a tournament well you missing out. this was no easy championship either. these guys fish against some of the best on the boc from the yadkin river area. congrates guys

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I am pretty sure catfish don't care what the boat looks like:wink:

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I wouldn't say that Mudkip. From what i've seen over the past few years those big blues and gaint flats ran for cover when they hear those 20hp motors coming thier way. Those big fish love my boat. They love it so much that thier fighting each other just get thier pictures took.

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Tomahawk, it appears to me that engine size has nothing to do with the results at weighin time on Badin and Tillery. It is skill, skill, skill, skill, understand? I started to include luck, but to repeat with good weighins like Gearhead did in three tournaments leaves luck out of the equation. Same goes for CMJ, one tuff cookie. Nuff said.

There are some great catfishermen on the Yadkin Chain (Badin/Tillery) and some showed their skills this year and it is my opinion that there are some lurkers down there waiting to show their stuff in 2008.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    You are right Tomahawk. I forgot to mention that your boat was the one exception to that on the Yadkin chain:wink:

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    it wasnt on tour. day.:wink: he took it like a man though.:smile2: well almost until car 54 left the building at badin.:smile2: tomahawk catches some good fish....we all know that but fishing on the weekends without current and added boat traffic is a differnet ball game most of the time. i think tomahawk will agree tour fishing and trophy fishing dont mix too good sometimes. dont get me wrong though....trophy fishing can happen in a tour but most of the time its go for all type thing and be dedicated to it and 90% of the time it will bite you in a tour. it happened to me at santee this year with the nccats tour. the other 10% of the time can leave the rest of the field wondering what happened?:smile2: still dont matter what type of boat you have....these guys proved that. alot of folks think you got to be fast to get to the honey holes to win but not in catfishing! these two guys done there damage fishing down river and fishing places that most of us over looked prefishing. we all had good days but they had better. the goal here should be to see if all this practice will put one of them in the winners circle in one the main events of the nccats on the yadkin chain in 2008. catawba river folks have been taking this and we got to strike back this year...i hope.:smile2::wink::big_smile:

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    When most of us fish our home lakes, except mudkipp and WylieCat, I think that sometimes we can not see the forest for the trees. That is to say, we get set in our ways for normal conditions and when those conditions do not exist on tournament day, we are too slow to react.

I did that a couple of weeks ago in our Carolinas Catfish Club tournament. All week I had been catching some nice cats in creek channels at 40 plus feet and on tournament day spent too much time pursing the deep bite. When I realize what I had done wrong, I only had two hours of fishing time left and hit the shallow waters and was able to get my partner and myself a third place finish. I think Catfishrus had the same thing happen to him and Rookie12 on Badin a couple of weeks ago.

Well, if I and others know what the problem is, then what is the solution? Maybe not spend so much time trying to prove ourselves right about our site selection or technique. Time is precious when tournament fishing and can fly by before you know it. Thus, time is our friend and enemy and we need to understand this and use it wisely. Move if they ain't biting and stay with them when they are. But, pride and old habits are hard to deal with! Lets change that in 2008.

9. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Usally when I go out fishing I don't look for perfect conditions. I look for windows of oppuritiny. All trophy fisherman will say the same thing. Trying to figure out the windows, takes alot of time on the water. Those big fish don't feed all the time and it really turns into a mind game with the fish. Catfishrus knows first hand the windows of oppuritiny. This past summer we did pretty good on some warm water blues. Most people at that time weren't catching much at all. It just being able to requinize, the times to be out there. If you ever want to be a trophy fisherman, you have to really put it into your head thats what you want and set the time aside to be a trophy fisherman. Afew weeks ago when i caught that 75lber. Not 10 mins before I hooked that fish I told myself, dam I know theres some big blues in the area. Sure enough, there was.

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., this thread is about tournament fishing and mistakes some of us make under tournament conditions. We/I don't doubt for one minute your ability to catch the trophy cat, your record speaks for itself and your knowledge of big cats, their habits and habitat is way above ours. But, how often is a real trophy caught under competitive conditions, seldom if ever. It did occur this year in Kentucky, a 103 pounder and a 108 pounder, that must have been something to see or experience.

Tomahawk, what is the chance of you sharing with us your experience is tournament fishing, good or bad. Thanks

11. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I want to thank all you guys could'nt of done with out you.I learn a ton by talking with you guy's. I learn something every time I go fishing and evertime I sit here at this computer on the BOC .Talking with such experts as Catfishrus , LakeNormanBlues, Pieir Pressure, CMJ ,Rookie12 , and even old Tomahawk . This is how I look at it. The Boc is the school and on the lake is on the job training and if you listen to the teachers then go and apply what you've learned and work hard it has to pay off for you. When im fishing the tournaments I constantly have to keep telling myself don't be LAZY, get up reel it in check that bait , pull up those anchors and move ,should I anchor, drift or troll . Then im thinking what did catfishrus say ,what did lakenomanblues say, and what was the background in tomahawk's picture and the date and how was he dressed :wink:. Just messing with tomahawk ,anyways thanks everyone that has answer my questions in the past and see you at the lake . CPR the big ones !

12. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Mac is right especially when it comes to dont leave biting fish. A couple tournaments ago mac fished with my uncle and myself and sure enough I had to leave biting fish to go to one of my favorite spots on badin. Wasted a couple of hours (didnt even get a bite) then went back to the biting fish. Now i am not saying we would have won or even place in that tournament but I did learn one heck of a lesson in tournament fishing. NEVER LEAVE BITING FISH!!!!!!!

Eddie

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...to repeat with good weighins like Gearhead did in three tournaments leaves luck out of the equation..."

100% the TRUTH!! Excellent comment LakeNormanBlues, EXCELLENT!!

Being able to catch fish under ideal conditions and ideal time periods is one thing, but being able to come out under a set time period on the same playing field as everyone else and outfish a group of great anglers tournament after tournament is another thing.

Anyone can get lucky and catch some good fish and win a tournament, but to be able to do it for a whole series of tournaments is something else.

We all hope for some good luck, but to rely on it if foolish.

One day I hope to not be a fool. :wink:

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    There are a couple teams from Mt Holly and Statesville who I think are the very best tournament catfish anglers I personally have seen and fished against. Even those guys have bad days, although less bad days than the rest of the field. Luck has some to do with it but know how and a good tournament mindset is what sets those guys apart from the rest. I am speaking of the Fraley/Leonard teams and whoever fishes with the Colonel. He is my personal favorite on any lake around here--Wylie included.

15. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Mack, I don't have alot of experience tour fishing. I've only fished 3 so far. For me tour fishing isn't that big of deal. I would rather be out trophy fishing then tour fishing. I don't mind tour fishing though. I will say this, I do ruffel some feathers when I show up for a tour. I guess because they know it's going to happen one day. I'll bring in a few gaints to weight-in. It's always fun to talk to the other catfisherman before the tours and share war stories. Tour fishing is benifecial to the catfish world. The bigger the tours get the more attention the catfish will recieve. And with that more regulations on creel numbers and size. We have a great catfisheries here in NC. Over time it's only going to get better. So far from what I've seen I think were doing a good job in promoting tours and protection for the fish. I do trash talk abunch, and have fun picking on certain people. But don't take that to heart. Were all in this for mostly the same reason. The challenge of trying to bring in some real monsters.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just dropped in to wish you a Merry Christmas :big_smile:

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys last year when i fished the tillery event mac called me to see how things was going and i told him my team was struggling that day and he told me to hang in there the 11-2 bite was about to hit us. i thought what the heck is he talking about....we catch most of our fish at tillery in the morning hours most of time. well he nailed it on the bite somehow. thats the time period the tour. was won in and big fish was caught by the fraley/leonard team. mudkip is right with post. i was fishing in the same area as the winners is how i know this. the bite picked up for most teams at that time period also even mine. mac can you let us in on how you predicted that bite? im enjoying this post and im learning all i can. i feel like if you stop learning you just as well stop fishing tournaments. i think tomahawk is right about the tour. being good for the future also. its a good way to get the cpring of big fish going for others to see in your area.

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    In the previous post, Catfishrus, wanted to know how I knew that the 11 AM to 2 PM bite would be prime time. Well Bro., I used the SWAG system!:cool2: With pratice you can too. :wink:

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There's a little more to Macs 11-2 bite than just a SWAG!!! :big_smile:

I bet ol' LakeNormanBlues had been fishing a good bit that week and knew when the prime bite was happening each day. If you follow it all week you can basically predict it by adding an hour from the previous day. It works when conditions are consistent, but throw in a cold front or some other major weather change and you can forget it.

As for tournaments, Mudkip is right. That Fraley-Leonard combo is tough, DANG TOUGH! Joe Montaigne seems to be the master of the big fish lakes. Then there is Kevin Custer; he don't say much but his stringer does all the talking!!

Like I have said before, tournament fishing is an entirely different skill set than trophy fishing. I know guides that won't fish tournaments because they don't want to be beaten by the "non-pro's". Here again, guiding is an entirely different skill set than tournament fishing or trophy fishing.

The guys I admire are the ones like Mudkip, LakeNormanBlues, and ChrisBlue, who can fish a tournament and be a contender, set out for some trophy cats and put them in the boat, and put a smile on the face of a group in a guide party. I think mastering all three skill sets is a sign of a great fisherman who will do well on any body of water.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just a fly on the wall....Taking in all the info.....put it to good use on my home lake Barkley