Gear Shift Handle

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gordhawk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm trying to locate a gear shift handle for a 1973 Johnson 6 HP,model 6R-73S outboard motor. Can anyone help me out? I know I've asked about this before,but thought I would try again to see if someone new might have something or maybe somebody didn't see my earlier post. I would prefer to find a used one due to the cost of a new one. If I can't find a used one I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a used handle located but I don't know if I'm getting a good buy or not. What should a good used handle sell for? The guy is asking $40.00 for the one I have located. That is a little more than half what a new one would cost. Also how difficult is it to replace this handle. Is it something that I can do myself,considering that I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Let me know what you think,Bob & Bubba.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its in good shape glenn then go for it. I would say you could do it your self. I'll check my books and see how big a job that is. I have changed a couple out before but that was several drinks ago and I haven't touched a drop in 15 years:big_smile:

4. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i was looking for one also,theres a place in st.charles mo. called roberson outboard repair.the guy told me $20.00 if he had one.