Gear Setups

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by PeterBeutler, May 11, 2009.

1. PeterBeutler

PeterBeutler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, I am looking at getting a whole new catfishing setup.
    I am looking for input on what all of yall are using gear wise. Starting at the pole and working all the way down to the type and # of test you use.

I will more than likely be fishing the Walnut most of the time.

Any ideas?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Peter

2. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I use a few diferent rods but my favorite is the medium heavy Quantum Bigcat rod with a Abu Garcia 7000C4LD with 80lb Big Game mono. There is a bunch of good equipment out there. Choose a setup that matches your style of fishing. My setup is for catching flatheads out of the middle of logjams. Hope this helps.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ive got all kinds of rods, probably too many if there was such a thing.:smile2:
    Ive got 6.5' rods all the way up to 14' rods. Everyone has a time and a place.
    I mostly use CatMaxx and Meat Hunter rods. 8-9' MH. Both spinning and casting, mostly spinning though. I love the retrieve on them bad boys.:cool2::smile2:
    I like the Okuma Avenger and the Epixor. The baitfeeder model is a nice choice.
    I use Ande Monster Yellow 30#, Berkley Big Game 30# and 40#, and Suffix Seige 30#. All different colors of High Vis line.
    I use Kahles from 5/o to 10/o 90% of the time.

4. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    If you like spinning gear kyle is right on. I have three okuma baitfeeders set up on a three rod tripod with bite alarms. It works sweet. I cant say enough about the baitfeeder spinning reels.:wink:

5. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    too many rods=== I told my wife that Im going to trash her shoes & purses if I keep tripping over them. Then she reminded me that I have fishing rods in every room of the house.:smile2:

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Peter fishing the Walnut the easiest and inexspensive wau to go is a 6'6
    "med. heavy or 7' med. heavy or heavy action rod. 20lb test to 30lb line. I have been fishing that river my whole life and I have pulled some big flats and channels from there with this set up. You should beable to get set up from 45 to 100 bucks and beable to tackle any type of fish in that river. Plus this size alows you to fish hi water and low water conditions.

:0a26:
    Later,
    Chris

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was jus curious what part you were gonna fish?

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    A few questions first. Will you mostly be using a boat or be fishing from
    on shore? This effects how long you need to cast, how fast you have
    to yank the cat away from cover he could tangle you up in, and what
    pound test you need to work with. Are you trophy fishing vs. freezer
    fishing? What are you willing to spend on the equipment you'd like to
    have? Do you want it to look good or matched up or do you just want
    it to do the job? Entry level stuff is pretty reasonable, largely because
    the major manufacturers have found that most catfishermen are not
    willing or able to sink a bunch of money into equipment, they want it
    rugged and powerful. They also aren't going to cast several hundred
    times to score, so it can be heavy and made of cheaper materials.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    7' medium heavy ugly stick tiger casting rod. Abu Garcia 6601 (thats right I'm one of those wrong arms) c4 with power handles, strung up with 50 pound power pro braided line. If you get tiger rods, you will not be disappointed. I've been happy with this set up and I'll probably get a 3rd one this season.

10. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    My favorite setup for river fishing is my classic 7' Zebco rod, with a Zebco 808, 65# invisibraid by spider wire. I use 9/0 kahle hooks, a quick snap sliding weight holder (it comes apart at 35# if weight is snagged), and 60# 12"-18" steel wire leader.

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Ditto on the Okuma bait runners...a step up from the old Shimano's I had in the 80's, for half the money. I just received a 90 that was 57 bucks shipped. I don't know how they can sell a reel with that many bearings for that.

I use the Abu 6500-7000's 90% of the time though:cool2:

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've grown fond of 7' m/h-hvy single piece rods,, Most lately I've been building them myself..Tuning the guides to the rod blank, and building the handles longer, w/ a trigger seat, with a longer than standard foregrip... Good leverage when working cats!! I use both Graphite and e-glass, in the 20-4-# range...Seems the graphite is better for horsing, and the e-glass for more sensitivety. to me anyway, with the blanks I have used..
    I usually attach an Abu GArcia 7000 to them, sometimes, I use the AG 6500 series..
    Mostly I use 30# Hi-Seas Quattro Camo mono line, the stuff is unbelievable for anti abrasion,,
    Some reels I use 40-50# mono.. also, good stuff. For smaller , really nasty water..
    Terminal tackle usually involves an Octopus 7/0, not a circle,, or a king Kahle 7/0 or a 10/0, depending on bait size..
    I'll rig my weight, 2-5 oz's, about 12-18" up from the hook.. Mostly livebait, but, sometimes, fresh cut heads..

13. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Mostly I use 30# Hi-Seas Quattro Camo mono line, the stuff is unbelievable for anti abrasion

How bout on gar:wink:

Where do you get this line?? I use PP, but am looking for something better on the business end.

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good question,, we don't have gar around here..
    is that something you use steel leaders for??

Basically the abrasion resistance I'm referring to is the stuff in the water, like rocks, wood, trees,concrete trash,,bridge pillars,, and other nasty stuff.. It can be broken, but, seems to take awhile..

Otherwise,,Haven't given any fish long enough time to chew through the line,,

Cabelas carries the Hi-Seas Quattro mono.. I think you can check online,, If you have any problems finding it,, Let me know, I can get it..Also, they carry it in higher # ratings, for leaders,etc!