gear ratio?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nitemare_63, Dec 5, 2008.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont know a alot about gear ratio but i know some. the only thing i know or think i do is that the higher the first number the faster the retrieve of the spool for less crank of the handle. So can somebody explain gear ratio's to me? like i see gear ratios like 5:3:1, 3:0:1, 4:2:1 and many others so if somebody could explain what all the numbers mean? also i hear people say the pann has a bad ratio , and i have seen penn's with a 3:0:1 and 4:2:1 so is that a bad ratio??

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The lower the gear ration numbers the slower the retrieve and more power to fight and land the fish. The faster is just the opposite. 4.2-1 and 5.1-1 is about the center. Penns with the 3.1-1 will definitely bring the fish in but slower. More cranks of the handle. I think 4.2-1 is good for cat fishing or for slow cranking for bass.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    In fishing reels the smaller the number the more cranking power you're going to have, and at the same time the slower the line will be retrieved..

So, a reel with a 3.0:1 ratio will reel slower, but, more powerfully than a 5.3:1..

On some reels, you can get a "Power Handle" which is a bit longer that will give you more leverage while cranking..

The ratio number,ie, 5.3:1 mean the Spool will make 5.3 revolutions to one turn of the crank handle...

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You pretty much have it. A 5:3:1 ratio means 5.3 revolotions of the spool per one full crank of the handle....Not sure about a bad ratio maybe just the wrong reel for the job...For example you couldnt use that Penn to throw lures that need a fast retrieve...Also if you fishing for species that are in real deep water say 100 ft deep or more...You will poop youserlf out as you have to be cranking pretty fast....But if you trying to move that 60lb Flathead out of that wood jam he is stuck in maybe that Penn Reel will better serve you...As Mickey stated 4.1.1 to about 5.2.1 is a good balance....

5. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    it is like riding a 10 speed in first gear. you have to pedal your butt off to get anywhere. with low gear ratio you would have to crank the handle alot to get a fish up from really deep water. a higher ratio would bring it up but with more effort.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the penn ratio that everyone complains about is 3:1 found in the 209 309 the 4.2 found in the gts is a preferd ratio. imo anywere in the 4:1 ratio is perfect.

7. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the info that helps alot and so did all the other posts thanks boc

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    There is no bad gear ratio.There are the wrong ratio for the job whether it is a so called reel,vehicle or a drive train on a Super Tanker on the seas.

My Penn 68 had a 2.25-1 ratio.My American made Penn 345 GTI has a 3.25 to one ratio.My bait caster has a 5.2-1.All are great ratios for the job that the reel is designed to do.Big fish and strong currents,you need that low ratio.You get a Wahoo or King mackerel charging the boat,you got to reel fast.Casting and presenting fast baits also as mentioned.Some large saltwater reels now have a simple transmission and have two speeds to handle huge fast fish.

You can take a 3 hp.lawn mower engine,gear it right and pull any load that any semi on the road can pull.Now it might be so slow that you would have to mark the ground and come back next week to tell it has moved!

Now.What no one has mentioned.A big reel with a large spool and low ratio may well be taking in more line per handle revolution than a higher ratio reel due to the spool circumference.I see many people fall into this trap when talking reel ratios and never even know their arguments often make no sense.This is why many advertisements now give line taken in per revolution.Spool diameter affects final ratio just as tire size on a vehicle does.Change your tire size and you change your speedometer reading for the same distance covered.

Well now,your reel is constantly changing it's gear ratio as it's line gos off and on.It has to because your spool diameter is constantly changing with every single revolution.This is why your drag is in a state of constant change.Your reel constantly exerts more force as your line goes out due to the spool getting smaller with every revolution.Reeling in,you are exerting less force with every revolution.

I just measured my bait caster(A Cabela's Salt striker SS6600X which is a Pflueger Trion 66) with a 5.2-1 ratio.With a full spool it takes in 20 and 1/2 inches of line per revolution while my Penn 345 GTI with a 3.25 ratio and full spool takes in 26 inches of line per revolution.If both had the same full spool diameter,the bait caster would take in far more line per revolution.Were the Penn on it's last wrap of line,and the bait caster at full spool,the bait caster would take in more line.The final EFFECTIVE ratio on these reels gives the Penn a higher "effective" ratio though it has less revolutions.You can reel in that fish or bait faster with that Penn 345 with it's 3,25 ratio than you can with the Bait caster with its 5.2-1 ratio.For those who disagree,I challenge you to get your different reels down and see how much you are reeling in per handle revolution.I did,many years ago and again just now.This is why I often laugh when I read someone telling some one how the faster ratios will reel line in faster.They will,but only "IF" the spools are identical in size.Many times the faster ratios are the slower retrievers.Let your line drift down the river some time and measure the line retrieved per handle revolution with a empty spool.Then do it with a full spool.Subtract the difference.Think about it.Hummmmm!

That old Penn 68 with the 2.25-1 ratio was a horse for horsing a Grouper or the huge Snapper out of the reefs,but the more you reeled the faster it got as the spool got larger as the line came on the spool to get that fish in the boat before a 1000+ lb.shark could bite it clean close behind the gill plates.We did not have to work out to have arms like our thighs!It came with the job.Thank God I only did it for short times and mostly on the side.

Folks who operate the Cranes and make the lifts throughout the world know this with their winches.Their lives depends on it.We call it a reel,but really it is no such thing.It is a "winch".A coke bottle or Coffee can is a reel if you wind a string on it.Put a handle or gears on it and it becomes a winch!

Just remember.Each revolution of your reel speeds up your retrieve when you are retrieving.

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well said pee wee :wink:

10. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i tell you what there is nothing rong with the 3:1 in the 6500 c3s stick with the basics all those gears are a load of crap meant to atract bass fisherman who want to show a load of there stuff off to look cool.:wink::big_smile::cool2:

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I accept your challange, Im not dissagreeing with you! Ive done the math many times with oversized tires. Just something to do when its cold outside. I could probally find most or all the facts sitting right here. BUT I do have an assortment of reels with different sizes and ratios, same size different ratio, and I DO sometime need to get them out and do a clean and inspect on them.... some are way overdue. the only thing i dont think i have is same ratio different size reel. I think im gonna do some searching for some info on some of the reels i dont have that i want to know the numbers on. For mono i perfer 1 size reel 320yrd of 20# and for that size reel 4:1 works best for me.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    that 4:1 gearing is my chioce too....but I love using them old 09's ...& even though ya have to crank on them lill more they are great reels......(LOL) He who think gearing mean nuttin will learn somday with a big kittey:wink: The tune will change then(LOL) heck I'd bet doller quick (LOL)it didnt take me long after my first few new reel strippings to learn this lesson & do not mess round and save to buy ya a good combo it does pay in the long run....I smoked 3 fairley expensive reels befer I figured it out...The Sipp & Dessey Kitteys are tough on gear...:wink:
    by the way this is a great post I have asked this too ...thanks for the refresher I need them mind aint what it use to be:big_smile:

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great!

I never remember learning a thing when somebody just told me what I already knew!Please do tell me when you disagree.

Please let us know what you find and on what reels.

I have found that the advertised amount of line recovered with each complete revolution of the reel is usually figured with the maximum completely full spool diameter and not the usual 1/8 inch less commonly recommended.

Unfortunately some believe that the more line retrieved per revolution the better.While a lot of line per revolution is good for some things,it is not for others.If it were,it would be easy to make a reel to reel in 4,6,8 or 10 feet per revolution.You just better not have anything pulling on it!

I well remember the old 1-1 straight drive Penns with no anti reverse or drag.You let that thing get to going,you best watch out for that handle!You would get a leather shoe or boot tongue and make a drag to press against with your thumb.My first reel and I used it often for 30+ years until it was stole.

I got to go now.I just had a plate full of fried Squid set in front of me.I am taking this bait.I love Squid most any way!

14. fishingva93

fishingva93 New Member

State:
    virginia
    theyve all hit it on the head the lower the gear ratio the more power

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Just checked the penn website and they advertize 19" of line retrieve per turn on the 209m 3.2:1. that must be like you said stuffed full or the gears are slightly different on the peer 209 mine isnt FULL and i measured 18" my same sized 4.3:1 Pflueger contender G30 almost full measured just under 24" per turn. so far thats the only reels i checked. also listed on the same page were he other levelwind penns. the smaller 9m with a slightly higer 3.4:1 advertizes 16" per turn the larger lower geared 309m 2.8:1 clames 20" per turn. thats it for now time for bed.:tounge_out:

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Faster ratio's are better for reeling in to check or change bait,slower are better for bringing in big fish.The old 209's and 309's that I use have a 2.8-1 gear.The later 209's have a 3-1,the 209 linecounter models have a 3.2-1 gear.
    Jake