Gear Ratio

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Shenandoah, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I at some point saw an explanation of gear ratio's for baitcasters and spinners can some one point me in the right direction?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sure thing.

It's the number of times the spool (or bail, in the case of spinners) will revolve for every revolution of the crank handle. A higher number like 6.3:1 will retrieve more line per crank revolution than a lower number like 5.3:1. Conversely, the lower number will be more powerful.

You will hear people talking about high ratios and low ratios, which may, or may not, relate directly to the actual numbers...try to ignore that, 'cause it will just give you a headache.:big_smile:

Are we straight?

3. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Katmandeux. Can you explain ball bearings as well?

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The more amount of ball bearings the better. For example I have two small spinning reals made by the same MFG. One is 8 BB and the other 10 BB. Both are the same size and have the same line on them. The one with 10BB is a lot smoother, I can tell the difference immensily. As far as Gear ratios, heres my thoughts. 5.0:1 would be five revolutions of the spool to one turn of the handle. So a 7.0:1 ratio would be seven turns of the spool to one turn of the handle. In salt water reels some have 2 speeds like 5.0:1 and 1.5:1. The reason being is 5.0:1 would be for reeling in a tuna far away from the boat. Once you have the tuna under the boat you switch to 1.5:1 so you can gain line in short pumps. Hope this helps.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Katmandeux and Ozzy pretty much covered it all. The only thing I'll add is my observations. On the spinning and low profile baitcasters (bass reels) the more bearings you have, the smoother they are and better they cast.

As far as the round type abu garcias used for catfishing, I've got several and built quite a few with different number of bearings. For fishing, I can't see any difference in casting distance with bait or smoothness in operation between 4 bearings and 5. There is a difference between 3 and 4 bearings. For practical fishing in the 6000/6500, 4 bearings is plenty, no difference above that. For the 7000, two bearings on the spool and one on the crank handle (C3) is pretty much the limit to see any difference too. The biggest difference I've seen is not in the number of bearings, but the type. With the ceramic bearings (after they've been cast several times and broke in), I notice a big difference in distance and they're much smoother. They'll just talk to ya when you cast though. The best thing is that they don't use oil, unless they're spinning TOO fast and causing backlashes. Then, you can add a drop of oil to them to slow them down.

Understand though, that's just me, other people might see more of a difference than me.