gear ratio

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by goingfishin, Mar 27, 2008.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Can anyone tell me what the differance is in the 6-3-1 and the 5-3-1. Is the lower the number the more power? Will the 6-3-1 reel in a heavy weight like the 5-3-1?

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 5.3 to 1 is the standard gear ratio for abus in the 4000/6000 class. the 6.3 to 1 is a faster retrieve/ratio. You'll find them mostly in the C4 models.

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    The type gears and bearings and the engineering involved will ultimately determine how much weight a reel will tow in and how fast. The amount of line on a spool will also make a big difference. The further line is from centerline of spool the faster is spins. Machined gears with tight tolerances are much more powerful than cast gears because they mesh so much better.

4. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA

Theres more power in the lower gear. By the gear ratio i think you are referring to abu. The higher speed would be harder to crank when compared to the 5.3 but i like high speeds for surf casting. Its important to compare the same brands as different reels are mode differently and some designs are faster even though the speed doesnt say so.