Gear Ratio

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tnkatman, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Can someone explain to me what gear ratio is and how it effects my reel and my fishing ? For example what's the difference in a 4.3:1 and a 5.3:1 ratio ? Also how can I tell what ratio is better or worse for me ?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Are you ready to get confused? Cabelas website has a compare @$#$
    It explains this ratio thing.I would think judging by that baby moby you have in yer avetar you want 4/1,I want that and have never caught nothing that size so I am giong with what I use.Explain it "I aint smart enough and I dont totaley understand it all either so ......." Sorry someone smarter than me will have to put it all into perspective.
    The reason I say I know this is I have a Abu 6000 and its 5-3,Ihave shakesphere tidewaters that are 4-1 ,I like the 4-1 best and now that is what I will look for.......

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    4 to 1, is 4 revolutions of your reel per handle crank. the more the better.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Low gear ratio more power, high gear ratio more speed.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep the lower # 3 or 4 means that your turning the handel more and getting less line per turn, you crank more with less effort. the higher # 5 or 6 means youre turning the handel less and getting more line per turn, the reel cranks harder with more effort. so basicly the bigger the fish the lower # you want or the reels gears and drag are gonna get worked, but go to low and your gonna wear your self out if the fish aint biting and your moving alot. imo the 4:1 or close to it seems to be a good medium.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The higher the number, the faster the line will retrieve. To me it only makes a difference when reeling in line when changing out bait. I don't use the reel to crank in the fish. I pull the fish in a little at a time and take in the line pulled in by the rod with the reel as I'm lowering the rod tip back down for another pull. You'll wear the reel out faster crankning in the fish with the reel.

I like the faster gear ratios when bottom fishing rocky areas as I can keep my sinker off the bottom easier when reeling in to change bait. Other than that, the ratio really doesn't matter to me. 5 to 1 or 6 to 1, it don't matter.

Were the higher ratios really come in to play is bass fishing if you're wanting to skip baits on top of the water or need a fast retrieve on your presentation.

If you remember to fight the fish with the rod and just use the reel to take in the line, the reel will last you a lifetime, no matter what gears you have in them.

7. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Xringer3 and flathunter are right on target. For me while catfishing the gear ratio plays only a small role. It's when fishing for other species it really comes into play.For example - bass fishing say using a buzz bait it is a must for a high speed reel to keep the buzz bait on top. While using a carolina rig worm, a lower ratio works better for me - slower movement and more power to pull from heavy cover.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I like a 5 to 1 gear ratio. it has more cranking power.

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    depends on what type of water u are fishing to what works best . if u are going to be fishing a river with current and using heavy sinkers u want power so 4.1 or so this is easier on the reel and and will last longer . if your fishing a lake without current making long cast then i like a faster gear ratio like 6.3 or so . i have found out high gear ratio reels in heavy current with 8 ounce and up sinkers its very hard on the reel .

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Told you someone would come along and put it right.I will be the first to admitt I aint the sharpest hook in the box:wink: I like that 4-1 but gues to some it dont matter and I thought it di so I even learned here.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For those not familiar with gearing,just relate it to the gears and peddling difference on your Bicycle.Same thing with the effort and the results.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pee-Wee never thought bout it that way either good call bro.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I wished I would of came upon this question last week. I had both of Shimano spinners opened up . One had a 4:4:1 ratio the other one 5:2:1 I belive. The master gear on the lower ratio model was almost 50% larger than the the one with the 5:2:1 ratio. I would of taking a picture for you and posted it. You know the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words.

14. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

Scott pretty much nailed here. The lower the gear ratio the more torque the reel will produce with a slower retrieve. Which is key when pulling in large cats. Typically the guys that like to run higher retrieves are guys fishing for Bass or fish of that nature. Where they hook a smaller fish & have it in the boat in less than fifteen seconds.

J

15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Great, I want an 18 speed reel now and it's all your fault.:smile2:

:004:

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fast gear if reeling in to change bait or to cast in a different place,or a slow gear for bringing in a big fish,whichever is the most important to you.I use reels from 3/1 to 4/1 for catfishing.
    Jake