Gear question/advice..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigkat7698, Jul 4, 2009.

1. bigkat7698

bigkat7698 New Member

State:
    Bowling Green KY
    I have 3 Abu Garcia 6500 TC reels but only have 2 of them on rods I have been looking at several rods but need some help narrowing my search. I am looking at the Berkley glow stick, E-cat, and the Ugly Stick in a 7 to 8 foot med to med hvy action. Lastly I use power pro braid 30 lb test but my dad and I have started fishing for trophy cat so I was wondering if I needed to step up my lb test and if so to what?...Thanks Bigkat

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    for rods i would suggest either catfish safari rods or BPS catt maxx rods. they are good and can stand up to some abuse. for line if you are going to use power pro i would suggest 65 lbs with a mono leader. hope this helps out.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the catmaxx rods and american spirit rods myself.And if you are going after the trophy size cats id go with the 65# or 85# test with your braid.

4. bigkat7698

bigkat7698 New Member

State:
    Bowling Green KY
    What about surge rods? How do they stack up?

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If you,re gonna go after trophy cats seriously,I,d step up to 65 or 80lb braid.IMO

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ugly Stick Tiger 7 foot with 50 or 60 pound Berkley Big Game. :big_smile:

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    go with the heavy tiger rod the serg rods may be a little over kill on a 6500, as far as line goes ill take maxima over ANY line made:wink: i use 40lb, pulled in 53lb flat with out a wimpier and pulled in logs that felt 4 times as heavy:wink:

8. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    only problem with that line is- he might get 50 yds on a 6500 lol:smile2:

9. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Jason, if you are going to use the braided line, and it is good, I use Power Pro 50lb. test myself on a couple of my poles and I have been very please with this, you should use a good mono leader due to mono being much better at taking the abrasion of the structure that cats hang out in. Braid tends not be too abrasion friendly and you don't want to loose that once in a life time Cat because your lline failed to hold up in the wood pile!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ugly stick big water rod,,If you are sticking with braid I would up it to 65-lb test.

I get by with 25-lb mono but it is more forgiving than braid, it stretches.

11. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    i use one of my steelhead rod with my abu catfishing it work alot better then my spinning rod heavy action 8'6" foot rod couldn't give you the company though the logo long wore off