Gear life of reels ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, Oct 19, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How long will gears last in a reel with both a brass and cast gear and multiple ball bearings ? Assuming the reel is taken care of and cleaned /lube regulary. -Thanks

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    that's a very difficult thing to predict... more or less impossible to be honest. If you properly care for your reel, properly use your reel with in the limits and expectations of the reel, perform maintenance on your reel regularly... honestly it should last many many years if not a life time.

There are thousand's of old Abu 5000's from the 60's and 70's that are not only still being used but are actually sought after due to their longevity. The same story is true for Penn's and Newell's .

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That would be a bit hard to make an accurate assumption on. I have a ten + year old reel that is still as smooth as butter. I have another same make, but higher end that just seized up on me last week. It was only two years old so go figure.

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    That one reel that is "smooth as butter" wouldn't be the Abu sitting in your trunk unused would it :wink: (j/k)

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll use this example. I've got 3 -1310 Quantum baitcasters that have been HEAVILY used for 19 years. The gears wont wear out in my life time or my grand kids I wouldnt think.

There are two gears you have to worry about , one is the pinion gear. The small gear on the end of the spool shaft in a baitcaster. Its not the gear teeth that wear out its the inside of the gear where it sits on and engages the spool. Its gets rounded out.
    You see this alot on baitcasters that have a thumb bar release. I dont like them for this reason.
    Put a thumb bar in the wrong hands and that gear can go bad in a day's time.

I bought a 120 dollar reel off a guy once that had bought it new the week before. I paid him 5 bucks for it.
    I explained what it was that caused it and that I would fix it for the price of the gear. NO No NO. He wont having any of that.
    I sold him 3- new 1310's. I fixed the one he sold me for 7 bucks and traded it for a 10 year old Quantum 1310. Man those old reels are some good ones.
    Simple and keep on ticking.

I have had one gear go bad and it was the big gear in a 1310. It lasted about a month. When I called Quantum about it they told me they had a bad batch of brass which was too soft.
    They had their repair center fly me in a whole new set of gears for that reel no charge.

Worm gears, will wear out. No way around it. You can make them last a long while though if you lube them every outing with something like Rem oil.
    I keep a can with me all the time.
    Any time you have to replace the levelwind paw replace the worm gear.
    If the paw is worn out, so is the gear. You'll see what I'm talking about when you compare new against used.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    LoL... Nah it isn't the bait caster, good memory Crucial. It is an Abu baitcaster though good guess. I was speaking of my Shimano Spinning reels. The Baitcaster is actually new I think its an older model Black something or other.

7. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have to agree that a reel will last a life time if it is taken care of. I have a few that are older than me that were my grandfathers that still work great!
    Mark J is right about the oil on the worm gear and pawl! I use rem oil or Triflow oil and I get years out of the pawl and gear.This is in heavy use in a sand river type fishing area. I get grit on the reels and I just wash them out with fresh water and re apply the oil and keep them in a reel cover when I'm not using them. The drags will wear out if you don't keep the star drag backed off when your not using the reel. That is a big one for some brands! I do not buy high dollar reels either. I have 4 tidewater 10L reels that are super! The drags work great and I run 50lb test on them. They all cast great and I can handle anything that bites on them. I've caught so many cats I could not even began to say how many on these reels. Never even changed a pawl in 6 years on either of the 4 reels. I have used Penn's 320GTI, Abu 6000, Shimano 200G, and a few other brands that I have tried. All worked well for the river cats I chase. The ABU and the Penn's were the worst on needing new pawls regular but they are easy to get at the local tackle shop so it was never a big deal.
    There are things that do wear out on reels but I don't think you will find that it will be the brass gears that goes first.

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Im with the other guys, take good care of them and they will last forever if they are a good quality reel. The abus I have from my grandpaw are still going strong but he took good care of them and so do I. I wipe my reels down everytime I use them and put a slite coat of oil on them were needed. I do use quantum hot sauce I think its the bomb. I keep my worm gears well oiled and a little grease. Once you put the hot sauce on its there for life it molleculerly bonds to the metal. It makes bearings spin like a dream and also works well on pinewood derby cars wheels!:wink: When I buy a brand new reel I take it apart and hotsauce the bearings, Ive had good luck doing this.:big_smile:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

When I buy a brand new reel, I usually completely disassemble it, pack it with Crest toothpaste and put it on a line winding machine for about 20 minutes.

Then I hot suace sauce it or Penn reel grease it.
    Yea, I stocked up on blue Penn grease. Its good stuff too.

10. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have some reels that are over 60 years old and they still work fine. I bought a Mitchel 300 at a garage sale for $5 a long time ago. It had some salt water corrosion on the outside. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and just last month one of the little gears inside lost some teeth. I don't think I will find any parts for it, but I got my monies worth out of it Catfishjon

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Mike;
    I will have to agree with the others that have posted before me, that is to say, if you take care of something, in this case a fishing reel, then it should last a long time, even over a normal human lifespan.
    The one thing I think everyone is presuming is that you have a decent reel from the beginning.
    So, take what the others have posted before me and start off with a very good quality reel, no matter if Baitcaster or Spinning, take care of it and then you will have something, barring a bad run of parts that slipped through quality control, human error, ect, that will last a long time. :big_smile:
    Good question.
    Hope this helps out a bit too.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]